Struggling......what goes where...

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
cartergsd

Struggling......what goes where...

Post by cartergsd »

Hi,
I bought my model 14s all disassembled, although engine is complete. I have been putting the frame back together and the centre stand components along with the under rail..??

And here is the issue im having, Ive kind of worked out what goes where but im unsure on what bolt/stud/washers go where, so been using what seems to work for now. I have a spares list and manuel not many pictures only desciptions, but i cant find out what fastners i should be using. Im pretty certain that some of the fastners are missing.

Im not very technically minded and am struggle with not knowing what things are called, and this is my first project.

Can you buy the fastners in kit type form....for example Rear mudguard fixing kit ?

Plus working in old measures doesnt help, very willing to learn, but struggling a little.
niagra

Re: Struggling......what goes where...

Post by niagra »

I don't think you can get specific nut and bolt kits. I have found AMC Spares very helpful. Just ask Steven for all the parts you need for a particular section you are working on and if you ask, he will bag them seperately for you. I am doing my first resto and have found it relatively simple to put together using the parts list - at least I have with the frame, as I haven't got to the other bits of tinware yet!

Dario
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

Hello,

It's worth buying a decent-quality bumper pack of nuts, bolts and washers - there are numerous suppliers online, or use the Club spares.

I bought a big pack of fasteners when I first started playing with Lightweights a few years ago, and still have many left (the rest are either still on the bike or littering many roads between here and north Devon!). Mine are mostly stainless steel (SS) but I also have zinc-plated fasteners where the use of SS is not appropriate. If you go the SS route, remember they need a dab of lubricant when assembling.

I'm on the Oxfordshire/Berkshire border - please feel free to get in touch if you need help with photos of baffling items or I can come and show you my bikes (a Model 8 and a G5) if it would help!

Cheers,

Al
cartergsd wrote:Hi,
I bought my model 14s all disassembled, although engine is complete. I have been putting the frame back together and the centre stand components along with the under rail..??

And here is the issue im having, Ive kind of worked out what goes where but im unsure on what bolt/stud/washers go where, so been using what seems to work for now. I have a spares list and manuel not many pictures only desciptions, but i cant find out what fastners i should be using. Im pretty certain that some of the fastners are missing.

Im not very technically minded and am struggle with not knowing what things are called, and this is my first project.

Can you buy the fastners in kit type form....for example Rear mudguard fixing kit ?

Plus working in old measures doesnt help, very willing to learn, but struggling a little.
cartergsd

Post by cartergsd »

Thanks for the reply.

Al, may very well take you up on your offer if i get proper stuck!!