Model 8 rear wheel axle

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Model 8 rear wheel axle

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi
Does anyone know whether it is possible to fit the rear wheel axle into the wheel on a model 8 the wrong way round? The reason is that have about half an inch thread protruding from the rear axle nut on the nearside yet on the other side the axle thread is a similar amount still recessed into the nut. The wheel is central on the bike and everything seems fine and this is always how it has been since I have owned it so I don't want to take it all apart unnecessarily but it is obviously not right as it is

Many thanks

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Al_Bolton

Re: Model 8 rear wheel axle

Post by Al_Bolton »

Must say I've never seen this Paul - on all my Lightweights, the axle protrudes the same amount each side. It's certainly worth pulling the wheel to bits to check/grease the wheel bearings and to ensure all the bits are in the right place. Why not try it and see - wouldn't take too long.

Cheers,
Al
Ozmadman wrote:Hi
Does anyone know whether it is possible to fit the rear wheel axle into the wheel on a model 8 the wrong way round? The reason is that have about half an inch thread protruding from the rear axle nut on the nearside yet on the other side the axle thread is a similar amount still recessed into the nut. The wheel is central on the bike and everything seems fine and this is always how it has been since I have owned it so I don't want to take it all apart unnecessarily but it is obviously not right as it is

Many thanks

Paul
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Thanks Al

Will the axle just pull/tap out of the wheel? or will the bearings come out with it, do you know?

thanks
Paul
1960 Model 8
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

I've only done the G5, Paul, as it was comprehensively knackered all over. The axle came out easily with one of the bearings after a gentle tap - the bearings were totally worn out and loose, so your mileage, as they say, may vary with what you need to do! I replaced both bearings on reassembly.

The spindle/axle is symmetrical, so unless it's the wrong one, or it's been wrongly installed/wrong bearings fitted :? it shouldn't exhibit the behaviour you've described - but do let us know what you find!

Good luck,
Al
Ozmadman wrote:Thanks Al

Will the axle just pull/tap out of the wheel? or will the bearings come out with it, do you know?

thanks
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Al_Bolton wrote:I've only done the G5, Paul, as it was comprehensively knackered all over. The axle came out easily with one of the bearings after a gentle tap - the bearings were totally worn out and loose, so your mileage, as they say, may vary with what you need to do! I replaced both bearings on reassembly.

The spindle/axle is symmetrical, so unless it's the wrong one, or it's been wrongly installed/wrong bearings fitted :? it shouldn't exhibit the behaviour you've described - but do let us know what you find!

Good luck,
Al
Will do once The weather warms up and I pluck up the enthusiasm (all my work has to be done outside or in the kitchen!!)

Thanks Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

Same here - driveway/kitchen/utility room or nothing! :cry:

Good luck with it,

Al

[/quote]

Will do once The weather warms up and I pluck up the enthusiasm (all my work has to be done outside or in the kitchen!!)

Thanks Paul[/quote]
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Al_Bolton wrote: The spindle/axle is symmetrical, so unless it's the wrong one, or it's been wrongly installed/wrong bearings fitted :? it shouldn't exhibit the behaviour you've described - but do let us know what you find!
Good luck,
Al
Hi Al just a point on the above about the symmetry of the rear axle, just been looking at the picture of this in my workshop manual and it does appear that the shoulder for the bearing on the offside where the speedo drive is, is bit longer? this is the side where on mine the axle is too short and doesn't come to the end of the nut when tightened. This would account for the extra length on the other side too if it was inserted the wrong way round. Obviously I am just going by a drawing in a book, have you got an old one that you could check me ? Too bloody cold and wet to go out and take it to bits plus the MOT is due before the end of March so don't want to fiddle around too much until that is over with. Thanks Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

Hi Paul,

Just had a message from my chum Richard who has a Model 8 - and he reminded me that YES, the spindle IS "sided"...so it IS possible to insert it the wrong way round, and your observation from the manual confirms this. Sorry! It really will need changing around. One problem with the Lightweights is when the speedo drive fails, it can lock up the rear wheel. I'm not saying that having the axle in the wrong way will do anything nasty to the speedo drive...but I'd rather not find out!

Cheers,
Al

Hi Al just a point on the above about the symmetry of the rear axle, just been looking at the picture of this in my workshop manual and it does appear that the shoulder for the bearing on the offside where the speedo drive is, is bit longer? this is the side where on mine the axle is too short and doesn't come to the end of the nut when tightened. This would account for the extra length on the other side too if it was inserted the wrong way round. Obviously I am just going by a drawing in a book, have you got an old one that you could check me ? Too bloody cold and wet to go out and take it to bits plus the MOT is due before the end of March so don't want to fiddle around too much until that is over with. Thanks Paul[/quote]
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Al_Bolton wrote:Hi Paul,
Just had a message from my chum Richard who has a Model 8 - and he reminded me that YES, the spindle IS "sided"...so it IS possible to insert it the wrong way round, and your observation from the manual confirms this. Sorry! It really will need changing around. One problem with the Lightweights is when the speedo drive fails, it can lock up the rear wheel. I'm not saying that having the axle in the wrong way will do anything nasty to the speedo drive...but I'd rather not find out!
Cheers,
Al
Thanks Al, at least I know what I am looking for now, well that's another job on my "to do" list. I will let you know the outcome when I finally get round to doing it

many thanks again

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8