G80CS Oil Tank Transfers

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
DaveF

G80CS Oil Tank Transfers

Post by DaveF »

Hi all

Could someone tell me the dimensions from the bottom of the tank for the oil level transfers on the left hand oil tank for a '65 G80CS please. Apologies if this already appears somewhere on the forum but I've searched and can't find any dimensions.

Thanks
Rob Harknett

Re: G80CS Oil Tank Transfers

Post by Rob Harknett »

If theres no oil in the tank, half fill it and see, as thats about where the min level transfers seem to be placed.
Continue to fill with correct amount for top level. Look at pics in sales cats. to judge, max is just above the line of the
2 screws, min about the same distance below them ( for 1965 ) But remember theres always a bit of oil in the sump.
Getting the max level can be done by putting the correct amount of oil in, then run the engine , might take a min or 2 to get circulating.
There you'll see max level. The min level always looks too low to me. But is it really important, you will keep your oil topped up I'm sure.
But not after the bikes been standing for a while, needs running for a while to return the sumped oil first.
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

If Dave is restoring the machine then he will not be able to start the engine to check the level - is this the problem Dave ?
Sam
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If you are restoring the bike Dave, surley theres no rush to apply the oil tank transfers.
Since making my reply, just by accident, I have seen pictures showing transfers about the possitions I mentioned, above and below the 2 screws. Theres plenty of pictures on this website showing pictures you can compare. Theres drawings showing where transfers should go.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Hi Rob & Samuel

Thanks for responding, sorry for the delay in replying, I've been away for the weekend. Yes I am over! restoring the bike and I intend to lacquer the tank after I have applied the transfers so I would like to apply them before I fit the tank. I agree Rob there is no shortage of pictures, and it's not critical because I tend to keep oil tanks topped up. However having said that, I would have thought there would be a definitive position for the transfers. In the event of no dimensions forthcoming then approximate they will be! Cheers Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://www.ajs-matchless.com/pic_display.asp?id=132
The above link will take you to a pic of a 1965 csr. I assume you have a simular tank. In the pic you see transfers applied,
above and below the two screws I have refered to. Personaly I think the lower level transfer is too low, and should be below the screws about the same distance as the Full level is above the screws
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Thanks for the advice Rob. The transfers are now on the oil tank, for the record I have put them 3 inches and 6.5 inches from the bottom of the tank.
Cheers Dave