Please Excuse me

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
clive

Re: Please Excuse me

Post by clive »

Bitsa or not she looks great, enjoy riding
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
wilko

Post by wilko »

The seat sits miles too high. It should have the short (3 inch i think) springs for the swinging arm model. The bracket at the front will also need shortening.
starstream

Post by starstream »

wilko wrote:The seat sits miles too high. It should have the short (3 inch i think) springs for the swinging arm model. The bracket at the front will also need shortening.
By the time my bulk sits on it Wilko, it will be short.
bob

Post by bob »

Agree with Wilko , had problems finding 3" springs for mine , eventually got them from Watsonian they use them on a current single seat R.Enfield
starstream

Post by starstream »

bob wrote:Agree with Wilko , had problems finding 3" springs for mine , eventually got them from Watsonian they use them on a current single seat R.Enfield
Thanks Bob, I will take a look :D
mirangi

Post by mirangi »

Can this be a 1947 bike, my understanding is the Swing Arm machines only came out in 49?

steve
starstream

Post by starstream »

mirangi wrote:Can this be a 1947 bike, my understanding is the Swing Arm machines only came out in 49?

steve

I have mentioned this to Roy when chatting about dating the bike.
Having investigated a little further I think there is a cock up on the V5. Roy has confimed that the frame number and engine number are as they came out the factory and it isnt a "bitsa" it is an AJS.
I now think this should be a 1950 bike, which I will have confirmed when I purchase the dating certificate from Roy. The current V5 is showing an incorrect frame number which relates to a Matchless, I think possibly someone may have registered it under a casting number in error???