key G12CS

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
charlski

key G12CS

Post by charlski »

This may sound like a stupid question, but something that seems really simple has got me stumped, i am just starting work on a 58 G12CS that has been under blankets in my garage for a long time, i do not have a key for it, as it was imported from the USA some time ago and not yet registered, so .......... if i had a key .... where would it go ????, as i have looked all over this bike and cannot see anything that looks like an ignition ??? i have never worked on one of these before so running a bit blind .... did they come with a key ?? is it staring me in the face ??? or did they come with some kind of switch as i guess after all they are comp models ???before i start stripping down i wanna see if it has spark etc etc hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks

KC
dave16mct

Re: key G12CS

Post by dave16mct »

No, it won't have a key with a magneto.
charlski

Post by charlski »

OK thanks, so do i just use the large 3 way switch on the headlamp ?? if so what is each switch setting for ?? if thats is what i use ?

Thanks
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Presume you mean the light switch then it's off, park and headlight.
charlski

Post by charlski »

OK .. yes just looked thats right, off park and headlight so to kick it over, i assume that is irrelevant then as its just to switch headlight on ? am i missing a trick, is there a on / off switch or should it just kick over without turning or switching anything on ??

Thanks

KC
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Presuming you have a magneto for the ignition and not coil then you won't need a key, there with probably be a kill button of sorts for the magneto to stop the engine. If you're trying to start the engine retard the ignition about a third with the lever on left side of handlebars and close the air lever by about the same, open the throttle a little and give the good swing down on the kickstart. You really need SAE 30 in the oil tank at this time of year, that is unless you have a nice warm garage of 10C plus.
charlski

Post by charlski »

Mike thats great, thanks.... never had a bike with a magneto before, so its all magic to me, garage definitely not 10 + ... especially tonight !!

Thanks

KC
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Better put petrol in the tank, open the right-side tap and give the carburetter a tickle, too, if you want it to start! :mrgreen: :roll:
Last edited by Malleon on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlski

Post by charlski »

ha ha, hey Malleon ... that was the easy bit !!
ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

How long has it been standing ? (thinking about what nick the oil is in ?)

Before attempting to fire it up, remove the crank-case drain plug at the lowest point of the crank-case to check / drain any surplus oil from the case. If it has been stood a while with oil in the tank it is highly likely the crank-case will be full of oil ! if you don't already know about it, do a search on here for "wet sumping" (you will get at least 1 or 2 threads about it :roll: :roll: )

If it were me, I would take the plugs out, rest / wedge them on some bare metal on top of the engine, then kick it over to see if you have a spark / decent spark. Reason, you don't want to be wearing yourself out kicking away at a cold engine if there is no spark occurring. :oops: The reason I say earth both plugs (rather than 1) is that mags do not like trying to produce a spark that has no-where to go. It goes "somewhere" if it can, and that can be inside the mag, and that is not good for it ;)

If / when you do get it to fire up, check immediately that there is oil returning to the oil tank by simply looking inside it at the oil return tower just under the oil filler cap. (a torch helps a lot !)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John, with a G12, near Chester in the UK