sticking throttle

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: sticking throttle

Post by Ozmadman »

1608 wrote:Paul, if you get the bike over to Burnham I have a spare carb you can try and I'm sure we'll get it sorted.
Hi

Sorry not got back to you but was out yesterday all day and have only just logged on today, looks like I can still post at the moment. Spriddler mailed me and said to contact John W is that you? about borrowing a carb. If it is thank you very much for your offer, here's how it stands at the moment. I have taken the carb off again today and cleaned it all out again (25 pilot jet, 106 main jet, 220 needle jet, D needle(all new), 31/2 slide in good nick(no real play between slide and body) and both adjusting screws are in good condition as well) all drilling's etc are clear(sprayed carb cleaner through them)and its all back together now( not on the bike though). I fitted a new jet block gasket and made sure it was really tightened down with the main jet housing nut and I have oil stoned the flange to make sure it is dead flat and fitting a new o ring. I am going to get a new tufnol spacer in the next few days and then put it back on the bike. IF IT IS OK then i'll be very happy if not then I will take you up on your offer (would need to ride the bike to Burnham though, no other transport), which is very generous, thank you. having said that I will need to be able to contact you which should be ok as I probably have a few more weeks before I am read only, unless I join of course

Many thanks once again

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Ozmadman

Re: sticking throttle

Post by Ozmadman »

Update

Rebuilt carb is back on the bike which (after a bit of tickling) started first time as usual without choke. This may have been because of carb adjustment when put back together but anyway got it ticking over slowly and evenly when warm. The problem only seems to show itself after a run so when we get a good day I will go for a run and see if it is sorted, will come back with the outcome. There was one thing I noticed when I took it off. Previously, when it was running all over the place I rubbed some silicon sealant around the flange(carb to flange) just in case there was a leak. When I took the carb off the sealant had seeped under the o ring about two thirds around it's circumference, indicating a leak? and a straight edge across the flange showed slightly raised ends. This is now corrected I hope and a new o ring(which seems slightly thinner) and pilot screw has been fitted and the carb not overtightened. Thank you John for the offer of trying another carb, very much appreciated, just in case you haven't seen it, I have sent you/replied to your personal mail and would like to visit at some point (when I join the AA, ha ha )as you are not a million miles from me.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed