Prop stand puzzle

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Richard Norris

Prop stand puzzle

Post by Richard Norris »

Hi, advice please - I have fitted a prop stand to my 1956 jampot frame and had trouble working out where to attach the spring. In the end I took it across to the offside (right hand) lower frame rail. Is this right? The workshop manual download doesn't seem to mention it.

I want to post a photo but can't work out how - not as computer savvy as I should be. Any advice on that too?

Cheers, Richard
Richard
SPRIDDLER

Prop stand puzzle

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Doc! Take some time to acquaint yourself with the Search Forums facility and you'll find answers to most of your (frequently asked) questions :

Click on link here, from a previous spring question:

http://www.ajs-matchless.com/pic_display.asp?id=493

..and how to post photos is here, from a previous question:

http://www.ajs-matchless.com/topic.asp? ... +Questions

If it doesn't cure the problem in say, 24 hours, come back and I can give you something else to try
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
en7jos

Prop stand puzzle

Post by en7jos »

Hi Richard,

The correct position is in the holes under the frame tubes as per the pic Spriddler provided the link to above (might need some digging through grease / scraping of rust to locate), but this means that the stand will retract as soon as the weight of the bike is taken off it. A clever safety feature that prevents you coming very unstuck by riding off with the stand still down and it digging in on the first left-hander. However an absolute pig if you need to manoeuvre the bike around after parking and find the stand has pinged back when you come to put the bikes weight back on it.

The alternative is to hook it over the front bottom engine stud on the opposite side to the stand, in which case it should stay down when you have it down and stay up when it's up. But it won't automatically retract when you ride off - so be warned you could come a real cropper if you forget to kick it back. For me, I've never had a bike when the stand auto-retracts so kicking it back is normal and it makes life much easier when pushing the bike round on the sloped parking area where I keep it. So you takes your choice!....

James :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
My Matchless G3LS website is here - http://www.matchlessclueless.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mckorkins

Prop stand puzzle

Post by Mckorkins »

And a reminder of my little mod on the M18 that aids location of the sidestand when wearing a gert big boot!

Richard Norris

Prop stand puzzle

Post by Richard Norris »

Thanks for the advice and the photo - a very welcoming club, I'm glad I joined (that makes 3 one-make clubs). I've submitted a photo to the moderator and hope to post it soon,
Cheers everyone, Richard
Richard
tomshayes

Prop stand puzzle

Post by tomshayes »

Are you the Richard Norris From Ramsgate?

Tom
Tom Hayes (Kent)
Richard Norris

Re: Prop stand puzzle

Post by Richard Norris »

No, Tom, sorry, I'm from Barnet. Was in Ramsgate for a couple of days a few years ago, rather liked it,
Cheers, Richard
Richard
Richard Norris

Post by Richard Norris »

Richard
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

Richard your ,img etc posting will not come up ???????????????
RIDE the Motorbike with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY it.
Insured with Peter James.
r w webb
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

If you copy and paste the image link into your browser removing [img] from the front and /img] from the back it will take you to competition machines G80 Bitza in photos on the main site.

Nice looking bike Richard.