52 Model 18S front brake cable part no.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
GregorSamsa

Post by GregorSamsa »

I've just acquired a 52 Model 18S via Ebay, yes without physically looking at the bike, but going from lots of what were pretty detailed pix. Needless to say, once you actually get the bike, it's not quite as good as it looked in the pictures - but you live and learn. maybe... The bike starts and runs OK, but now the battery's stopped charging, still that's another matter...

The front brake is lousy. The first step for me is a new cable since the one on it now is probably the original, out of adjustment, fraying outer, kinked - yes it's that good! :-(

Now I can't work out from the parts list here in the AMOC which is the cable I need to be ordering. The bike has the original front brake: steel single sided drum with alloy brake plate and very standard substantial looking chrome long anchor arm going up to the mudgurd mounting on the fork leg. Can anyone help me with the right part no. please? The AMOC list doesn't give anything for the 013178 number I have from the PDF parts book. Thanks in anticipation.

JimEdited by - GregorSamsa on 01 Oct 2012 6:43:59 PM
Started out on a '58 G2, then a '41 G3L, now 40 years later on a '52 Model 18S. I think that's 2 steps back and one step forward... or something like that? :-/
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The list does give the cable pt. no. Gregor.
but you need to look hard. Go to the cable section of the club spares list, look for Pt. no.T419. then read the discription which say its OK for 013178

Post by 1608 »

Beware, it makes a difference if the hand levers have adjusters or not. I find with items like this its best phone your order at the club spares if you are not sure.
aobp11

Post by aobp11 »

Just type 013178 in the Quick Search field.
Albert
en7jos

Post by en7jos »

Jim, also have a search on the forum for the brake shoe modification that was proposed a while back and some photos provided (see photo section) by Spriddler. Might help with your lousy front brake issue (but also, how good are you expecting it to be?). This is what I am planning to try when I get round to it anyway.

James

Edit: Spriddler's photos are here and here.Edited by - en7jos on 02 Oct 2012 02:43:57 AM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
My Matchless G3LS website is here - http://www.matchlessclueless.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

"(but also, how good are you expecting it to be?)"

If you are comparing your 18S to any kind of modern bike the front brake will be unlikely to ever meet expectation!
It's all just riding motorbikes
GregorSamsa

Post by GregorSamsa »

Thanks for all of the (prompt) replies gents. I'm also a denizen of a similar BMW forum and your 'efficiency rating' is right up there with them. :-)

I'll ought now to be able to obtain the correct cable - much appreciated. Some years ago I had a length of HD bowden cable and outer in my garage and would quite happliy make my own cables, but hunting around, admittedly only a quick web search I can only find rather small - and expensive raw cable/outer on offer. I need to get autojumbling. Who knows, this is a return for me to 'classic' bikes. When I used to ride them, they were just old brit bikes.

@James, your question "How good do you expect it to be?" is a good one. After years of riding more modern bikes, I do know I've been spoiled, but applying the brake in question has barely no effect, in fact in those trouser tightening moments when you forget which bike you're on momentarily and attenpt to use the brake as on another machine, it actually seems to have the effect of making the bike go faster. Scary!

My last experience of the AJS/Matchless front brakes was on a G3L, which I owned as a young man, that brake was more or less cosmetic too, but I had no money to do anything about it either, now I think this drum is at least an inch bigger dia and I will damned well make it more efficient - the mod you've pointed me to makes a lot of sense, who knows what will be revealed when I finally get around to taking the brake plate off. I'll keep you informed. Many thanks to all once again, I look forward to more exchanges among the group. Happy riding! Jim
Started out on a '58 G2, then a '41 G3L, now 40 years later on a '52 Model 18S. I think that's 2 steps back and one step forward... or something like that? :-/
cf160

Post by cf160 »

Check the cable length carefully taking the adjusters into consideration as the lead or length of bare cable at the brake arm is somewhat crucial when setting up
a new one. You might as well make up one with a good end and solder as it will be correct that way.
If you haven't done this before, get a local old bike mechanic to do it for you.
David J.Potter