twin seat pan

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
trophy

twin seat pan

Post by trophy »

Is my 1962 AJS Model 31's seat pan correct? Looking from underneath I expected the pan base to be the same shape as the seat. Actually it is the same shape but has the back centre portion (5"Wx12"L) cut out and a support strap (same profile as the upper side of the mudguard) welded to the back of the pan. I must admit that it seems to be original and the weird shaped cut out could be to clear the mudguard but it looksstrange. Or is it me
Ride safe all.
Don Madden

twin seat pan

Post by Don Madden »

Sounds like a pan for the CS/CSR models. Pics? Cheers, Don. Edited by - Don Madden on 24 Sep 2012 5:35:20 PM
trophy

twin seat pan

Post by trophy »

Hi Don. Does this help?
Ride safe all.
trophy

twin seat pan

Post by trophy »

Sorry about the unaccessible pic. Try this.
Ride safe all.
Don Madden

twin seat pan

Post by Don Madden »

Yes, it does help & it is not a CS/CSR seat, which have bolts up at the rear mudguard. The one depicted has the touring type screws/bolts through the sides As I am not as familiar with the touring bikes, a photo from the side will let others identify it. Cheers, Don.
MikeM.

twin seat pan

Post by MikeM. »

With the white pipeing where it is it may be from a 1960 Model 31DL.
trophy

twin seat pan

Post by trophy »

Thanks Don/Mike. Ah well, looks like more expense. The bike is from the same stable as my G3LS which also had the wrong seat. I will try another couple of photos to see if anyone can identify it. You never know, someone might want one]
Ride safe all.
MikeM.

twin seat pan

Post by MikeM. »

Your seat is very much like the one I have on my 1960 Twingle Special apart from mine being 2 to 3 inches shorter because of my special having a CSR rear mudguard and bridge piece. It's based on the original seat pan and has the cutaway just like yours plus the white piping. I have read just today an article on a Model 31L in I think a January 2005 Classic Bike and it had a white piped seat like yours.
trophy

twin seat pan

Post by trophy »

[quote]
Your seat is very much like the one I have on my 1960 Twingle Special apart from mine being 2 to 3 inches shorter because of my special having a CSR rear mudguard and bridge piece. It's based on the original seat pan and has the cutaway just like yours plus the white piping. I have read just today an article on a Model 31L in I think a January 2005 Classic Bike and it had a white piped seat like yours.
[/quote
Thanks Mike. Interesting. I have a friend who has the same model as mine so I will ask him to remove his seat so I can see if mine can be modified back to original without me having to fork out best part of £100 for a new one
Ride safe all.
ageing rocker

twin seat pan

Post by ageing rocker »

quote:
[quote]
[/quote
Thanks Mike. Interesting. I have a friend who has the same model as mine so I will ask him to remove his seat so I can see if mine can be modified back to original without me having to fork out best part of £100 for a new one

Your seat looks identical to the one on my 62 G3S. If you should decide to go for the new one and you want to offset the cost, I could well be interested. Keep in touch. Ron.