carb spacer question

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
cbranni

carb spacer question

Post by cbranni »

Just measured one and its 10 1/16 ins, this was off 250 csr I have boxes, my manual says 10ins, hope this helps.
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
borrowashboy

carb spacer question

Post by borrowashboy »

sorry for the late reply peeps, been in bed with man flu anyway, yes it's for the lightweight. according to 'the red book' the lightweight gearboxes are all identical, it's only the clutches that are different - wrong. my gearbox has a far longer mainshaft in it, i presume to accomodate the duplex clutch? i tried fitting a duplex clutch with a normal gearbox and could never get it to clear the backplate, so i fitted a simplex clutch. now i've fitted the other gearbox and duplex clutch, the pushrod is far too short. i'll measure it tomorrow. and yes, the big ball bearing is fitted under the clutch cable arm.
cheers, bb.
borrowashboy

carb spacer question

Post by borrowashboy »

hi colin, i measured mine and it's 9.5 inches. no smutty remarks please
cheers, bb.
cbranni

carb spacer question

Post by cbranni »

So you're half inch short, club spares don't stock lightweight clutch rods, I not sure who does, if you are stuck theres 3/16 dia silver steel on ebay, just an option

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILVER-STEEL- ... 53ddaf8b92

you will need to cut to length, polish the ends square, and harden the ends, flame heat the end for about half inch to cherry red and quench vertically in oil, then polish with emery to a shine, reheat to dark blue and quench again, this will give you a hard end, repeat for the other side.
only dead fish go with the flow
borrowashboy

carb spacer question

Post by borrowashboy »

thanks colin, but way in front on the buying a bit malarky. i ordered some last thursday
the last one i bought was just a piece of cut and hardened rod, which cost me a ridiculous sum, so i thought in the interests of price i would buy a length and make one myself. thanks for the reminder on the hardening though, it saved me googling it
cheers, bb.
borrowashboy

carb spacer question

Post by borrowashboy »

done and done. works perfectly and cost me less than £2, so well chuffed. amazing what an extra half inch will do
cheers, bb.
Ian5913

carb spacer question

Post by Ian5913 »

Glad your sorted Ian
borrowashboy

carb spacer question

Post by borrowashboy »

me as well. HOWEVER! i tried it before hardening it, now there's not enough poking out to get hold of, so the clutch springs etc have got to come off. try as i might it won't flick out. shouldn't have coated it with grease first
cheers, bb.
Merlin

carb spacer question

Post by Merlin »

Have you tried one of those gismos with a magnet on the end i.e a rod with a small magnet end.I used it to retrieve my clutch rod on my Greeves.
Chemists do it with test tubes
borrowashboy

carb spacer question

Post by borrowashboy »

unfortunately merlin, i used stainless rod. never mind, it will give me chance to check the rotor nut is still tight
cheers, bb.