carb spacer question

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
borrowashboy

carb spacer question

Post by borrowashboy »

after much popping and banging i finally traced the fault to the heat insulation spacer between the carb and the head - it was cracked. not having a spare i did a search and found plenty of local shops that sell them, but they all seem to be the 1/8th thick tufnel ones. mine is about 4 times that thickness, so would the thinner one be ok or do i have to have the thick one?
cheers, bb.
Rob Harknett

carb spacer question

Post by Rob Harknett »

Get the correct one, check what pt. no your bike wants and get it from club spares.
borrowashboy

carb spacer question

Post by borrowashboy »

Yes sir! Sorry sir!
cbranni

carb spacer question

Post by cbranni »

The club spares spacer is too long for a lightweight, I bought one and made two out of it, but I could have ordered the wrong one

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Rob Harknett

carb spacer question

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ah, yes, sir has noticed all Ades bikes are lightweights, and there 3 different types of spacers, depending on year and carb type. None of which the club seem to stock.
So I suggest you try Amal for a correct spacer, but, have you got the correct carb.
You may be able to just tell Amal the bike details and spacer details like fixing hole centres, bore size and spacer thickness. Maybe give the spacer a good clean, open up the crack a little and araldite it, if it comes down to make do and mend.
Stuoyb

carb spacer question

Post by Stuoyb »

I got the correct spacer from Hitchcocks when I rebuilt a Model 14.
I fitted the carb. to the studs and fully engaged the nuts then measured the gap to the inlet flange and was able to select an appropriate thickness of spacer from the Hitchcocks website.
theroof

carb spacer question

Post by theroof »

got mine for the G2 from Andrews engineering. spot on
R.Grover
borrowashboy

carb spacer question

Post by borrowashboy »

sorted. bought a length of tufnol type sheet and made one myself. fits and works perfectly so for £5 including post i've got enough material to make 5 more as and when. for the sake of an hour bent over the vice it was well worth it.
cheers, bb.
ps, does anybody know the length of the clutch pushrod for the duplex type clutch? i fitted my rebuilt one this morning and the pushrod isn't long enough.
Rob Harknett

carb spacer question

Post by Rob Harknett »

is this still for the lightweight? theres a couple of different rods I see, also a 3/8" dia ball.
Ian5913

carb spacer question

Post by Ian5913 »

Is the ball bearing still in the gearbox end that pushes the rod when the lever moves?

Ian