1950 Model 18

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
blythmags

1950 Model 18

Post by blythmags »

Hi all

Since the last topic I registered relating to the problems I was having with my carb( i.e on turning the petrol on, it was flooding uncontrollably until I turned the petrol off again), I followed the advice given, and I am now able to turn the petrol on but unfortunately the float doesnt rise. I have taken the following action:
1. Looked at the float and it appears in excellent condition, intact and with no damage
2. I have ensured that the float needle is cited correctly when screwing down the float top. The notch on the float needle is correctly sited with float in situ
3. There are no problems with petrol flowing into chamber when I turn petrol on
4. When the petrol is turned on, and I manually press the needle downwards, the chamber fills nicely and this is what I need to do every time I need to kick the bike over.....i.e my manual "tickling" of the carb has to be done with the carb top cover ( sorry it wont be called that I know !)unscrewed and me pressing the float down to fill the carb chamber.

My apologies if I havent cited all the carb pieces correctly, but I hope you can picture what I am saying ?.......

Cheers as always......
Best wishes
John
Rob Harknett

1950 Model 18

Post by Rob Harknett »

Sounds like the tickler is not long enought to reach the float and push it down. Wrong float, or float in wrond possition on neadle.
You have the tickler fitted with a spring then held under neath with a split pin Correct?? with the top off press the tickler, does it move much, have you got a spring too long preventing it from depressing enough to reach to float, maybe you have the wrong float and or neadle, does the float clip hold in the neadle notch so in the correct possition.
All the tickler does is hold the float down so to flood the carb, the bike needs this done on starting. Surely you have a wrong of damaged part.Edited by - Rob Harknett on 20 Jun 2012 8:16:24 PM
blythmags

1950 Model 18

Post by blythmags »

Hi Rob

The tickler is the original one and it functions well ( good spring etc)and has the split pin. The float and needle are also the original one that came with the bike and these were function perfectly until recently. The float clips nips the needle fine too.

The problem is that I need to unscrew the top of the chamber and press the float down to fill the chamber up. On examination ( when I take the chamber top off), the float is fairly low down in the chamber as a result of no petrol being released into it when I turn the petrol on ?.

When I manually press the float down, the chamber fills and I can start the bike without any problems......strange
Best wishes
John
Rob Harknett

1950 Model 18

Post by Rob Harknett »

Neadle must be sticking or damaged, try cleaning the carb and fit another neadle.
I had this happen in the 50's when a teenager, I dabbed grinding paste on the neadle gave it a few turns to clean up the seat, it worked.