Spark plug harris matchless

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
iainajayaway

Post by iainajayaway »

Hello All
Can anyone recommend a better spark for the harris matchless
rotax engine, the standard spark plug is a NGK D8EA, i was told that fitting a Splitfire spark plug improves starting anyone tried this?

Cheers
Iain
BolserG80

Post by BolserG80 »

en7jos

Post by en7jos »

A mate of mine used to swear by Splitfire spark plugs - he fitted them to his car once and they apparently made a massive difference to the performance. I was rather dubious, especially when I found out the old plugs had been in there for tens of thou' miles so a new standard cheap and cheerful plug would have no doubt had the same effect!

The idea of a Splitfire plug seems nonsensical - what's the point of having 2 ground electrodes when the spark can only ever jump to one of them at a time? You can't get two sparks at once, so the best you'll surely end up with is a spark that jumps back and forth between the earth electrodes on each revolution (or more likely the spark will just stick to the one path of least resistance)?!? I've never bothered to try one myself though.

The Iridium plugs have a narrower fancier-metal electrode so should need less volts to give a fat spark than a standard plug, although not sure that this should make much difference on later ignitions. They're also a fair bit more pricey than a standard plug too, so I guess you pays your money etc....

I guess only one certain way to find out though, give one a try and report back!

Regards, James
----------------------------------------------------------------------
My Matchless G3LS website is here - http://www.matchlessclueless.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------