Centralising front brake - spindle nut clearance.

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Not all levers fit flush to the bars, some are a couple of mm shy along the right angle spur that the lever is bolted to, this may be to allow another fitting to pass underneath but can lead to flexing if there is nothing there.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Exactly so, Druncan.
I've a pair which I bought whilst experimenting with adapting my cable controls to L/H operation and they are as you describe. When the lever is squeezed the whole assembly leans towards the hand until that heel touches the 'bars which results in a very squidgey feel to brake (and clutch).Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 14 Jun 2012 09:14:36 AM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
bjork

Post by bjork »

quote:
Not all levers fit flush to the bars, some are a couple of mm shy along the right angle spur that the lever is bolted to, this may be to allow another fitting to pass underneath but can lead to flexing if there is nothing there.

Same experience here. On some bike or other with this problem, I made a temporary fix by inserting a peice of packing under the gap and hey presto a much better lever feel. Once you know if that's it it's time to get some better levers. There are some pretty crummy levers out there!
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
CAB

Post by CAB »

I had to grind the lever mount with a dremel to make the clamp sit properly on the bar, not a massive improvement unfortunately. My 1968 Bonneville is the same and I'm pretty sure those levers are genuine....
CAB
Crafty

Post by Crafty »

Crafty
Crafty

Post by Crafty »

I had a similar problem which I eventually solved by regrinding about three thou ovality out of the drum after trying most of the usual fixes
Crafty
Wumpletoad

Post by Wumpletoad »

quote:
It's best to have the new linings well bedded in before you do the mod. New linings do make the lever feel "spongy" sometimes until they are fully bedded in.Edited by - Tolly on 11 Jun 2012 9:29:02 PM

It seems that modern eco-friendly linings have vastly inferior performance compared with that of the original materials. For what relevance it might have, after two years and four thousand miles of fairly spirited riding, my new asbestos-free linings exhibit approximately 50% drum contact - it is only now that the brakes are developing any noticeable effectiveness.

The chalk application is a good idea, if only to demonstrate the uneven state of the linings when new. When received, these give the appearance of having the surface machined to conform to a given radius but, in fact, they have only been dressed with a belt sander or equivalent and will need much bedding in of the hard material.

Wumps.Edited by - Wumpletoad on 01 Jul 2012 11:49:36 PM