Forks and gearboxes: North American sources?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
rcousine

Post by rcousine »

Hi all,

My dad and I are trying to get his first motorcycle, a 1958 AJS 18CS, rolling again. It's got two problems we're trying to resolve right now.

1) The transmission has a busted motor mount. Are we best off looking for a replacement transmission, finding a welder who can build up the new mount, or just getting a replacement transmission casing?

2) The forks are twisted. Rather than salvage things, I'm happy to replace the whole front fork and not worry about it. Original or a nice replacement (ideally something that looks nice or works better) is fine.

This bike will never be a concours restoration; we're hoping to turn it into a nice Sunday-ride machine. It's not really what you'd call an unrestored survivor, but the cobby hand-painted tank and the tuck-and-roll seat (which my dad sewed himself!) date back to the 1960s.

So far, the hardest part has been picking through the various potential sources for these bits, trying to find a place that actually has them, and will ship to North America (Canada is best, but if the supplier only ships to the US, I can deal with that). Any recommendations?

Thanks!
1958 AJS 18 CS (a work in regress)
Ongoing rebuild photos: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B16GWZuqDGvT59n
itma

Post by itma »

Our man in Canada david potter aka cf160 is always on the look out for things to trade with
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
2) The forks are twisted.
Welcome Ryan.
Exactly what and where do you mean by 'twisted' or are the fork legs bent? It makes a difference re repairing them.
You'll love it when it's on the road!
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
rcousine

Post by rcousine »

I think the fork legs are bent. It's not severe (the bike was certainly ridden in years past, bent forks and all) but it's visible, and it's not right.

I'm away from the motorcycle right now, so I can't answer decisively, but I assume the sliders are not straight. The forks are in so-so condition cosmetically, so if I could buy an entire front end for a couple hundred dollars, I'd do it.
itma

Post by itma »

quote: o if I could buy an entire front end for a couple hundred dollars, I'd do it.

unlikely
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Depends on what you want but fork legs (aka stanchions) can be straightened cold. Many have done this but you need to inspect closely for cracks. New ones (and all other fork parts) are available.
Full instructions on refurbishing forks can be found if you use the 'Search Forums' facility on this site, or go to Christian's Archive.
You're welcome.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Mike Partridge at Walridge Motors, Lucan, Ontario is your best bet for parts for this model. Cheers Dave.
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

The transmission mount can be welded by a competent shop & the weld dressed neatly with some work. Empty AMC gearbox cases are often of ebay.

You should have competition forks. The stantion tubes are the same as touring but many other parts are different. The tubes can be straightened if not creased at the clamp. Forking by Frank makes new high quality ones or you can order from Waldridge Motors in Ontario who can supply most AMC parts. Cheers, Don.
rcousine

Post by rcousine »

Thanks for the advice so far! I feel like I'm a lot further along in terms of getting the bike sorted out.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Any pictures? Dave.