Torque data - heavyweight singles

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

I think your comment is a bit harsh, Ken; I may be a regressive, aging has-been admittedly, but I like to believe that I still am good for something, if only I could remember what that something is.....
itma

Post by itma »

I was speaking from a purely personal point of view you understand................

speaking of being good for something, I remember a school teacher telling me I'd never be fit to shovel sh!t,
well, I just shifted about a ton and a half of the stuff from a nearby stable,that showed him eh?

skool teecher wot do they know.
Mckorkins

Post by Mckorkins »

I do love setting hares running!! Never fails...
DM2

Post by DM2 »

"speaking of being good for something, I remember a school teacher telling me I'd never be fit to shovel sh!t,
well, I just shifted about a ton and a half of the stuff"

Time to get an indoor loo before you are too old to shovel Sh!t
itma

Post by itma »

bloke I Know had a big win on the lottery so he treated himself to something he'd always wanted, first thing was a inside toilet next was a big barbecue then he invited all his mates round to see it all.

"Do you think my money has changed me?"he asked

"well" said one, " I cant say but I can remember once you used to sh!t outside and eat inside "

My great grandfather was a night soil remover so it runs in the family.......

quote: Time to get an indoor loo before you are too old to shovel Sh!t

stable sh!t dennis, not bullsh!teEdited by - itma on 16 May 2012 10:05:39 AM
Mckorkins

Post by Mckorkins »

Yep, just assembled the primary drive today and gave everything that had to be done up a good grunt! As a matter of interest, I did whack a torque wrench onto the crankshaft nut to see what I had tightened it to manually and it was 40ft-lb, which should keep it in situ!

Also reduced the primary chain to 67 links from 68, making it right for the model/year; and, low and behold, the shaft for the clutch hub lined up perfectly with the centre of the inner chaincase aperture. It would appear that some good has come out of my labours - with a little help from my friends. Thanks again all.Edited by - Mckorkins on 16 May 2012 10:49:28 PM
dave.everitt

Post by dave.everitt »

I think that the point of this them is veryvalid and important. I have done a lot of work on bikes and cars so I consider that I am able to judge tightness. I have just rebult my G80 and have been let down a couple of times by judging the wrong tightness for nuts. My G80 has BSF, Cycle, Whitworth and Metric (BA) threads. They all go into different metals. Judgement of tightness is very difficult and a bit like rolling dice.
Why dont we generate our own list of torque values?
To start I used 40ft.lb for my head bolts.
aobp11

Post by aobp11 »

quote: I did whack a torque wrench onto the crankshaft nut to see what I had tightened it to manually and it was 40ft-lb, which should keep it in situ!
I doubt so. If you tighten to some value (be it by hand or with a torque wrench) and then check it, you will find a larger value. If you check the head bolts after several miles, you first loosen the bolts a little and then set them to the required torque again.
Albert
Mckorkins

Post by Mckorkins »

Although most critical items, certainly within the primary and final drive areas, are protected to a degree with tab washers/lock nuts, I find it a little odd that the crankshaft nut is not, therefore I consider it important that some torque value is set for this.
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

Surely the direction of rotation of the crank shaft will serve to tighten the nut if there is any movement
It's all just riding motorbikes