G5 Engine Sprocket Shims

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Remington

G5 Engine Sprocket Shims

Post by Remington »

Hello there,

Does any 350cc Lightweight owner possess details of the driveside engine sprocket shim(s)which sit between the inside face of the sprocket and engine bearing? Mine appears to have been removed following work carried out recently wherein the sprocket was fitted back to front. Unable to find any details in the various handbooks, workshop manual or archive files. Info. required such as thickness and inside/outside diameters (or items themselves if available for sale). All help very much appreciated.
cbranni

G5 Engine Sprocket Shims

Post by cbranni »

Hi Philip, there is a shim listed in the spares book 044058, and is not required for 250 model, my belief is it's for sprocket alignment, sizes would be and this is from memory is 7/8 id 13/8 od and thickness to suit.
You would have measure the postion of both sprockets to find out the thickness of shim required, to do this place a straight edge across the inner chaincase face and measure the distance to the tooth face of both sprockets, or maybe you can get a straight edge across the two sprockets if theres room.

Colin

Russells have them on their stock list, whether this is up to date I'm not sure.............price was 80pEdited by - cbranni on 19 Oct 2012 10:51:45 PM
only dead fish go with the flow
Remington

G5 Engine Sprocket Shims

Post by Remington »

Hello Colin,

Thank you for your reply and advice. I shall look on the Russell website for the item and try the straight edge trick in the meantime to check alignment. Clearances look to be quite tight inside the chaincase and the previous incorrect installation of the sprocket resulted in lumps being gouged out of the alternator stator (a Lucas fitting so only tram lines in the resin, fortunately).
Remington

G5 Engine Sprocket Shims

Post by Remington »

Hi Colin,
Many thanks again for your kind offer.
However, I think that I shall try obtaining the shim from Russells as I presume that it will be the correct size and thickness (knowing my luck I'll probably come up with the wrong size and the correct one will probably be some strange dimension if the design of the gearbox is anything to go by). I'll let you know if Russells are unable to supply.