Having a breakdown!

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ian5913

Having a breakdown!

Post by Ian5913 »

Having a breakdown!
The old girl broke down last night, at 52 years old she has not done so for twenty years and it comes as a shock. We (My Daughter and I) had travelled the 20 or so miles there and almost 20 miles back to & from the Newbury club evening, a wet night there but not as bad back but the roads were slippery in places and I smelt a whiff of diesel in the air at times I thought so a careful ride no more than 50mph on the straights and much less on the roundabouts and corners. The ride there was smooth enough along the A4 despite the rain. On the way home we stopped for fuel and came back along the A4 to Reading. Just into Calcot and turning left at the lights up Langley hill I had that – the engine is a bit noisy feeling – I dipped the clutch and the engine cut straight away with a pop! I was a good 15 miles from the fuel stop it couldn’t be fuel. The engine was dead and sounded it when it kicked over but at least it moved up and down. A MILE AND HALF from home push or AA. A very steep hill before us and that followed by a long slope up to our house. Quick team talk – push – if we get knackered half way home is nans house and we can dump it in the garden until morning if we need to.

Off we set plenty of breathers as you have to know your limitations as Clint would say and really in no time at all we are home. Hot sweaty, knackered to be honest. But home before 11pm so not that bad after all. Bike away & try and forget it until tomorrow. I must say more of a lightweight with two pushing. Well done Eleanor!

I thought from past experience that a push rod had undone itself , stripping down I found a lot of end float on the exhaust valve rocker shaft. When I took the cover off a rocker shaft nut must have come un done a little (it was still in place ) and the rocker arm had turned on the shaft. The exhaust valve stopped functioning as a result.
This appears to be the only damage the quick cut of the engine saved the day I think.
So not too bad, but a strange problem I thought I would share.
Hopefully back on the road tomorrow sometime
Anyone else had this happen?????
Ian
Rob Harknett

Having a breakdown!

Post by Rob Harknett »

Why 1 1/2 mile push or AA, & having just been to a section meet. I tried to start an assistance list, Guess none of the Newbury section put there name forward or you never had the list at hand.
Anyway these things happen and you usualy make do and get home eventualy. Pleased to hear nothing too seriously wrong with the bike.
Malleon

Having a breakdown!

Post by Malleon »

And even more pleased that the unaccustomed exercise did not have a bad effect on your state of health !
Best regards .
Ian5913

Having a breakdown!

Post by Ian5913 »

Well whilst putting right what was wrong a rocker box bolt snapped during the refit, oh bother I said and dismantled it again. Tough as old boots the gremlins round here it seems! Spoke nicely to the spares scheme and they had the part i needed - one of the long ones for the engine steady in the middle - ordered yesterday it arrived to day and the bike has now been out for a test run and appears fine. Even the suns come out now.
Thank you spares scheme great service and a membership discount you are good.

Thanks Ian
rex.webb

Having a breakdown!

Post by rex.webb »

Thank you spares scheme great service and a membership discount you are good.

Thanks Ian
Thats what we need to HEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RIDE with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY your Bikes and Scooters.
Insured wiyj Peter James.
r w webb