dismantlable rear shocks

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Nostromo

dismantlable rear shocks

Post by Nostromo »

After speaking to Neil Lynn I got the drift of how to work out the correct amount of "oil" to use. The idea is that the shocks will a) never suck air at one extreme (fully extended) and b) not be too full to blow a seal at the other extreme (fully compressed). In practice this works out as "just enough" to not suck air.

After a couple of attempts where I managed to get oil all over the place I came up with the following method. With the innards out I pumped it in a bowl of oil until the cylinder was full i.e. with the plunger fully out. I then put enough oil in the outer body such that it just covers the bottom of the innards (plunger) when it's all assembled. I did this over the weekend and after a couple of goes it seemed to do the trick.

It just occured to me this morning though that when the bike is cranked over It may suck air i.e. it may need a cc or so more. I'm going to re-do it tonight so that I'm sure it doesn't suck air even at an angle - I'm thinking 45 degrees should do it - can't see me cranking over more than that!!

BTW I'm using ATF as I read that it's good for shocks as it's about the "right" viscosity and it has anti-foaming agents. Pretty sure that ATF is what I USED to use front and back and also for the primary IIRC.

Ian