headstock

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
beesy

headstock

Post by beesy »

hi all,

could someone help me by posting a picture of the headstock steering lock.

my handlebars hit my tank and i need to sort it out. i have a tab on each side on the bottom yoke, with a hole in it.

on the frame there seems to be a flat part where the tab should meet, but there is a gap of about 1/4 of an inch when the handlebar hits the tank.

please help, it seems i'm missing something.

cheers
cbranni

headstock

Post by cbranni »

Maybe tank sitting too high, wrong rubbers, wrong handlebars, if nobody posts a photo I can towards end of the week.
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Rob Harknett

headstock

Post by Rob Harknett »

Something is certainly wrong.
Perhaps you are in a better possition to discover what. Check out pictures on this web site, zoom in on parts and see if they differ to what you have fitted on your bike .
If you just want to go with what youve got.
You could bend up a stop and bolt it on the existing stops via the hole. But you will then limit the steering lock. I have done this on fitting Ace bars, at the expence of nipping my thumb a few times between bars and tank, and having to drag the bike
to turn in tight spaces.Edited by - Rob Harknett on 20 May 2012 10:05:44 PM
bigwol

headstock

Post by bigwol »

if your bars hit the tank it wont get through an mot. in fact if it traps your thumb it should fail. Could be the bars are bent, I've also had this where the stops are worn. A little bead of weld on the stops is probably the easiest out if your not happy bending the bars forward a little.
It's all just riding motorbikes
Ian5913

headstock

Post by Ian5913 »

I have posted some pictures of the 350 LW with HW Forks head stock on the following link. See if these help you.
Let us know?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1050863888 ... 7-yFqpLgdQ#

Ian
ajscomboman

headstock

Post by ajscomboman »

It's more than likely that if you've fitted new bars the centre that fits into the clamp is too wide. From memory the centre shouldn't be more than 4 3/4" - 5" MAX before the bends start anything longer then the bars hit the tank.
beesy

headstock

Post by beesy »

thanks for the replies, looking at the photos it seemd that someones taken a grinder to it at some point in the past.

i'll try and manufacture something that either goes into the holes in the tabs or fitting a buffer type thing to the threaded hole in the frame just under the flats where the tabs should meet,

appreciate help & speedy replies

jason
Ian5913

headstock

Post by Ian5913 »

Thinking about the role this plays it may be worth thinking about tapping a thread into the flats on the frame (If the still line up with the headstock arms) and fitting some bolts to bring them forward a little. Effectively giving you a robust and adjustable steering lock setting. Another alternative would be to replace the headstock set. There's a cheap set on a popular auction site at the moment.

Ian
Ian5913

headstock

Post by Ian5913 »

Ps No they are not mine.
bigwol

headstock

Post by bigwol »

There are several ways round this problem, I opted to weld a bead onto the stops and once filed and painted you cant see anything was done. Another option was to glue a hard rubber stop onto the stop webs, or as a quick fix to get through a MOT test simply put a cable tie through the hole for the steering lock with the adjuster block facing forward to act as a stop/buffer. Depands on how long/much you want to spend sorting it out and how fussy you are re originality/looks etc.
It's all just riding motorbikes