Surprise - it's an AMC clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

Norton's had this metal band around the clutch drum. My '57 Model 50 has an AMC box with this arrangement. I don't know if it is the original clutch or not but it certainly ain't no Triumph one! Everything else about the clutch is the same as the contemporary AMC clutch as fitted to AJS/Matchless bikes. The purpose of the band, according to the Norton handbook, is indeed to keep oil off the plates.
Bob.
teckhardt

Post by teckhardt »

So its supposed to be "dry"? Because the plates had oil on them...

How can I tell if the plates are designed to be wet or dry? If wet, I would guess I should remove the band.Edited by - teckhardt on 11 May 2012 05:07:35 AM

1951 AJS 18
teckhardt

Post by teckhardt »

The band in question

1951 AJS 18

Post by 1608 »

I was always told that our type of clutches were termed more or less as semi dry clucthes. That is to say that they are desigend to work perfectly ok with the inevitable oil residue on the plates but not be swimming in the stuff. The presence of the oil also prolongs the life of the plates and all the contacting metal to metal parts etc. These clutches, by their obvious design cannot be expected to run with completely dry plates, can anyone honestly say that when they have stripped their cluth that the plates are bone dry after a good few miles. I suspect that the clutch has sufered slipping in the past and somebody has added the band to try and keep oil off the plates instead of sorting the real problem, ie, weak or poorly adjusted springs, wear on the plate ears or the drum etc.Edited by - 1608 on 11 May 2012 11:05:36 AM