G12 Hot starting issues

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
richardguppy

G12 Hot starting issues

Post by richardguppy »

Hi Again All!
Right then, many thanks again for all yor tips and suggestions, I think I've formulated a bit of a battle plan.
Before throwing huge money at a mag rebuild, I'll work my way through the following list. 1) Replace the NGK plugs with Champion N5C's. 2) New H.T. leads and caps (non supressed). 3) New slip ring. 4) Clean and adjust contact breaker points. 5) Check/adjust ignition+valve timing. 6)Clean out carb.

I'll also do the 1/4" HT lead test when the bikes been run up. Its fitted with an Amal Concentric carb, so I'm off to scour google about setting it up right. Last time I pulled the plugs out they looked nice and clean, but it wont do any harm to re-check the settings!
If one the above doesnt cure it then the credit card needs dusting off...

Cheers
Rich
paul knapp

G12 Hot starting issues

Post by paul knapp »

quote: I'll also do the 1/4" HT lead test

Caution in doing that, that spark (H.T.) must earth somewhere, and if it doesn't make the gap you give it to jump, it will possibly do an internal jump with the risk of 'tracking' across the insulation leading the way to further internal tracking along the same path.
Always have an earthed plug fitted when winding over a magneto to be on the safe side.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!