Centre Web Thrust Washers

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Before I stitch my engine back together I would be grateful if you have some centre web thrust washers laying around you could quickly measure the thickness for me, mine are around 0.092” I need to get an idea if this is about normal, I could only see Grolly’s reference to 0.095” in a forum search.
Thanks
MG

Post by MG »

Hi Duncan,
when collecting data for the crank project, I mic'd a total of 4 sets (16pcs) and they all were between 0.092-0.0933 inch.
Steven Surbey of AMC Classic Spares also reckons 0,092 was the standard thickness (and the only size available).
There is no listing for crank end float I am aware of, I had 12 thou on mine (prolly the result of 2 regrinds on the centre journal), so ended up making my own washers (Babbit on bronze) to give 5-6thou end float. Works fine so far.
HTH, Markus
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Markus, thanks for that it was just what I was looking for, Helpliner also confirmed that he has no record of tolerances, so I will reassemble with the parts I have.
dodger

Post by dodger »

dodger

Post by dodger »

Should be back on the road again in a couple of years then Duncan
Laurie
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Up and running on Sunday is the plan, I just needed two years to think it through properly!