Hi everyone and help please.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
ma120990

Post by ma120990 »

Hi everyone,

am hoping that someone can give me a little help. I have inherited my uncles 1956 18cs that has been in the back of my dads garage for about 40 years. I know my dad put in a new loom about 5 years back and we had the beast running. But since then its been back under cover. Ideally I've like to get it back on the raod at some point. We even stuck a new seat cover on it (it was built with lights, pillion style seat etc). I like to know which are the best road tyres for it as currently its on knobblies. It also had a trials sidecar with it (cantebury I think, the sit on it type with brake rather than the sit in it) although that was detached so it could be cleaned up a bit. I'd also like to know how much the thing is worth for insurance purposes. It could be made to run in just a few hours as its complete but is smothered in oil presently. As I say help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Mark
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Choose tires to suit your intended use. As I do not plan to cause further damage to my Typhoon riding off-road, I am using Avon Road Riders for street only now. Cannot find a 19in tire wider than 3.5 so am spoking an 18in rim onto a spare hub for better choice.

Check the frame for truth. The 1956CS has the 4pc frame with a lot of joints to loosen up and/or wear. 1957-59 CS incorporated the bottom rails into the rear sub-frame for better rigidity.

Insure the bike for as much as you are willing to lose but be sure the carrier agrees.

Cheers, Don.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Mark.
As Don says, choose tyres to suit its use. Also replace tubes and rim tapes, cleaning any rust or debris from inside the rims. It may have tyre security bolts but although they won't do any harm you won't need them for road use at appropriate pressures - e.g. (my choice) 26 psi front, 28 psi rear.
As for value/insurance a pic or two on here would help.
You MUST obtain 'agreed value' with your insurer - he will require photos.
I recommend Peter James Insurance. He is efficient, knowledgeable, competitive, AND you speak to a real person - no 'option' buttons to press. Many of us are satisfied customers of this firm.
Good luck.

Afterthought...
Don't know how familiar you are with old bikes but you should at least 'service' th'engine - oil, filter, plug, points, tappet clearances, etc. check clutch adjustment, gearbox oil, and know how to start it - lever settings etc.
I assume you have the Owner's and Workshop manuals....Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 19 Mar 2012 09:51:40 AM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

hi Don over here we can still get a 400x 19 rear tyre of Avon or Mitas make surprised you do'nt get them over your way, the Avon profile is enormous in 400 guise and I was toying with the idea of an Avon 350, you can get the later tread pattern in these I have Road riders on the goldie, nice tyre but a real dogs nuts to get on and off with a tube in them, kind regards
ma120990

Post by ma120990 »

Thanks for the replies, some good advice here. I forgot that I did put a photo of the old beast in the photos section of this site a few years back. http://www.ajs-matchless.com/pic_display.asp?id=390 I guess it'll be spending much of its time on the road so some street rubber would be best, and as these things a pretty desireable now some good 'vale agreed' insurance plus some secure storage of the mega variety. Cheers chaps. If I can get a better picture some time I'll try and haul off the old one.