My G5 Rebuild

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
aaron9587

My G5 Rebuild

Post by aaron9587 »

Hi peeps,
Some of you, (with good memories!) will remember my buying a G5 basket case. Since Tolly gave me a replacement gearbox the project has slowed down alot due to problems with my canalboat engine needing a rebuild. This has now been done (needs a little bit of time to finish it) so i have now started on the tinware and found most of it to be in realy nice condition, some is in primer while i decide on the colour of the bike. Have people changed the paint colours on their bikes or are they normaly standard. (thinking of met black frame and chain case with met red tins&tank)
If this sound gopping i can change for something more traditional.
Thanks to TOLLY for the gearbox and the advice you gave me..Tony.
crawsue

My G5 Rebuild

Post by crawsue »

It's your 'bike and your preferance,but resale values can be hugely affected by non-standard paint schemes.Look through the pictures (Photos link above)and you will see some lovely paint jobs...most of them are modern interpretations of how they were....some are very close to original but with modern materials.My preferance is stick to colours as used by either AJS or Matchless....and always with a standard black frame. Just noticed the other posting in this section...maybe a good place to start.Edited by - crawsue on 16 Dec 2011 10:10:50 AM
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
Rob Harknett

My G5 Rebuild

Post by Rob Harknett »

I will echo Crawsues comment.
You cant go wrong keeping the bike as original as poss. Customs jobs are only likely to please yourself. So will reflect the bikes resale value, as what ever you do non standard will have to be PUT RIGHT in the next buyers eyes. That does not only apply to finish.
tinhat

My G5 Rebuild

Post by tinhat »

Just beware primer is not always proof against damp.
The majority of standard primers are actually porous so I'd recommend getting a surface coat on asap.
TH
Ian5913

My G5 Rebuild

Post by Ian5913 »

I would look at the images section and see what you like. The above comments are all correct but beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say! When I got 'given' my L/W it was Red and had the biggest 1970's cow horns I have ever seen. Someone loved it.
Ian