weeping rocker box- 18S

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.

weeping rocker box- 18S

Post by 1608 »

Had a leaky rocker box for some time now. I'm pretty sure the joint is quite sound, is this an indication of crank case pressure possibly due to blow by because of either bore wear or broken ring.The crank case breather also drips a little. Both the above symptoms have increased over time and engine is not as quiet as it used to be.Suppose I've answered my own question, grateful for any observations though.
Thanks
Rob Harknett

weeping rocker box- 18S

Post by Rob Harknett »

could had been push rod tube rubbers, flattenred tappet cover seal or not fibre washers under acorn nuts. I would nto worry too much about the breather driping. I've had that with the bikes when new or nearly new.

weeping rocker box- 18S

Post by 1608 »

Thanks Rob, but I'm referring to the actual rocker box not the tappet inspection cover. Definitely nil to do with push rod tubes.
laxy

weeping rocker box- 18S

Post by laxy »

Rocker cover bolts dont need to be as tight as you can get them.Its the gasket that makes the seal.Overtightening can cause warping so you may need to remove the cover and get a local engineering shop to check its flat and skim as necessary or have a go yourself with a sheet of plate glass,although you will need a lot of patience to do it that way
wilko

weeping rocker box- 18S

Post by wilko »

Nothing like a good cuddle for a weepy rockerbox!