Nearly There

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Rob Harknett

Nearly There

Post by Rob Harknett »

Take care drilling for the bum pad, if possible do it outside the shed, so you can possition the pad, then stand well back to see if it looks straight. Something not always seen close up. I discovered something simular years ago, too late. Having fitted Amours exhausts on my 36 twin port. I found the r/h side very tight on the mag. I carried on with the project, then found the mag splash guard would not fit on, I left it off, still carried on. Much later when the bike rolled out the garage, a mate walked up my drive and said, your r/h silencer is about 1" higher than the left. When in the shed I was never able to view the bike from the back.
Cjay

Nearly There

Post by Cjay »

Hi Bunners,
the pic from the front is excellent, I think your choice of handlebars and not having the front number plate creates a very elegant and positive looking front end. How long has this taken and what condition did you start with (a before pic would be of great interest)? My view may not be to everyones agreement but I would love to ride it as you've set it up. If you want alloy to polish I'll lend you my bike for a couple of weeks (don't the forks look spindly), keep hunting for the missing parts, your time has been well spent, kind regards Cjay
Peter Lecompte

Nearly There

Post by Peter Lecompte »

Hi Bunners, I like it a lot and it inspires me to finish my 1949 AJS 18. It is very nearly there also. I have painted the fork legs blackas per catolog. Mine is a rigid and i am chasing a decent looking pillion seat also. If you find someone who can supply, please let me know. Well done. Cheers Peter
fump

Nearly There

Post by fump »

Lovely bike, well done,it looks great.
SideValve

Nearly There

Post by SideValve »

Nice bike. Roll on the better weather
Peter W
z1100r

Nearly There

Post by z1100r »

Top job mate. Colours of fork legs, holy shamolly, thats something I would do to how I thought it looked right...You have done that IMO. Blimey its not very hard to redo them in any which way though is it - if it has to be authentic to not take £500 of its value.

Is that a std size rear wheel..?? if it is I think mine is oversize. Quite posible. It has been re-rimmed by a budding Hells Angel. Might explain why mine dwarfs other Matchless bikes it stands next to.
clive

Nearly There

Post by clive »

Roy Bacon's bible on changes states polished lower fork legs introduced 1952, all the earier illustrations show painted fork legs prior to this, but the lower spring shroud was painted too, shame to do this on your nice shiny new ones. Ride and enjoy.

Front and rear wheels on road bikes were 19 inch I think.
edited again as I cannot tpye without a speeling eror creeeepingt in Edited by - clive on 24 Jan 2012 10:05:15 PMEdited by - clive on 24 Jan 2012 10:07:11 PM
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
z1100r

Nearly There

Post by z1100r »

Thanks for PM about wheel sizes...my rear is the right diameter @19" but after checking last night its not the right width..its alot wider than stock with a larger higher profile tyre.
bunners

Nearly There

Post by bunners »

Ok Chaps, thanks for all the possitive responces, now this is where the problem starts, this project came without paperwork other than a receipt from the seller, I have contacted the dating officer with the intention of applying for an age related plate, and supplied all the relevant paperwork (I think) but the frame number is not on record so an age related certificate can not be issued under DVLA guidlines (I think I got that right, Roy) as it is not possible to say if it is Matchless or AJS frame. the dating officer has advised I contact the local DVLA for assistance, which I will certainly do. the question is, has anyone else had this problem, if so any info on how you overcame it would be very much appreciated. if the DVLA offer me a Q plate I will not be a happy Bunners
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.