Front forks

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
ajsm18

Front forks

Post by ajsm18 »

Hello,

I'm gradually acquiring the parts for a Model 8 AJS, having started with an engine and gearbox. What size fork legs were fitted to the 350s and do they differ from all of those fitted to the 250?

I have a set of wheels and yokes but no legs yet. I haven't measured them but the holes for the legs look to be the same size as those fitted to my 1947 Model 18.

Many thanks for any guidance

Mark
cbranni

Front forks

Post by cbranni »

1 1/8 forks were fitted to the 350, the standard 250 had james type forks, only the 250 cs or csr had 1 1/8 forks, heavyweights were fitted with 1 1/4 forks, hope that helps
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
ajscomboman

Front forks

Post by ajscomboman »

Not quite Colin. Early H/wts had 1 1/8 forks as well. Although the alloy sliders of the H/wt models look the same the end caps and the spindle cut out at the bottom of the slider is different on the L/wt as the spindle is a different dia.
ajsm18

Front forks

Post by ajsm18 »

Hello chaps,
Thanks for your help, I'll know what to look out for at Netley Marsh tomorrow!
Mark
cbranni

Front forks

Post by cbranni »

Thanks for the correction Rob, we live and learn, just finished a G2 rebuild, those James type forks and mudguard are a nightmare, horrid things to refit to bike, tried on my own, made so many scratches on them I gave up, I resprayed them and got a mate to help fit them, even then we got 1 or 2 scrapes on them.
only dead fish go with the flow
Ozmadman

Front forks

Post by Ozmadman »

On the subject of Model 8 front forks, I have acquired a nice set of new stainless steel sleeves and fittings (inc top nuts) for my model 8 350 front forks and wondered what is the minimum amount of work I need to do to fit them. i.e, can I do this with the forks in situ maybe? with a support under the engine of do I need to remove them completely and how difficult a job is this? The old fitings are sprayed silver at present and this would really finish the front end off a treat

Many thanks Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ajscomboman

Front forks

Post by ajscomboman »

A complete front end strip one leg at a time is the only way to replace the seal holders, you'll also need a 1 1/8th fork leg puller to make the installation easier. The required tool is available from Jampot Spares 01536 511532
GOLDSTAR

Front forks

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Or if your a cheapskate like me use an old top nut with the hex turned/filed/cut off amd a length of that threaded rod available from builders merchants, or a piece of broom handle, kind regards
paul knapp

Front forks

Post by paul knapp »

quote: if your a cheapskate like

No, thats what we call 'being practical'
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Front forks

Post by 1608 »

Well said Paul, special tools are often suggested and quite rightly so if needed for a regular job, but I'm a firm believer in adapting the many tools, spanners and bits of tubing and metal off-cuts collected over the years, especially the very versatile and ubiquitous broom handle !