Sammy Miller Museum

These are the front page News Items. Only Club members can add news items to this forum.
RL

Sammy Miller Museum

Post by RL »

At the club AGM last August it was agreed that we would award Sammy Miller with an Honorary Club Membership. The Honorary Membership is in recognition of his creation of the museum and restoration work of vintage and classic motorcycles that includes some of the most exotic AJS & Matchless ever manufactured.
On Sunday 9th October we are intending to present Sammy with his Honorary Membership at the museum and would like as many members as possible to attend and support the event ideally on bikes. We are looking to make the presentation around mid day. AJS&MOC Public Relations
DWS

Sammy Miller Museum

Post by DWS »

An excellent idea and gesture.
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register
RL

Sammy Miller Museum

Post by RL »

Latest news from the Sammy Miller Museum on Sunday 9th October. Sammy has confirmed that, weather permitting, he will have the AJS V4, AJS Porcupine, Gordon Jacksons Trials AJS, the in-line 4 and three versions of the 7R from 1938,1948 & 1953 all on display in the courtyard and providing there are enough people around I'm sure he will fire them up and give them a run.
Flash

Sammy Miller Museum

Post by Flash »

Why? will he give members a discount on entry
to his museum and what has he done to deserve such an award. I can thiink of a lot more members that would deserve it more.
TTJohn

Sammy Miller Museum

Post by 1608 »

Normally I would be with Flash on this one. I don't usually prescribe to the honouring of people simply because they have been very successful in their chosen career, albeit something close to many of our hearts. But, Sammy Miller is patron of the NABD and closely connected with other charitable works and therefore gets my vote.
Is there an update on the days events of 9th Oct.
Flash

Sammy Miller Museum

Post by Flash »

John Sammy Miller is not down as a patron of the NABD look it up on Google
Dick Hobart

Sammy Miller Museum

Post by Dick Hobart »

You've got to blame Wilkipedia for that, although it would seem that he was a patron but perhaps is no longer. That's not the point - this was an AGM decision, and a very worthy one at that. If 'Flash' couldn't be bothered to attend the AGM (only surmising) and view his feelings then, he now has no right to comment. Forum ettiquette prevents me from saying more! As a trials riding contempory of Sammy's I have to say he wasn't the most approachable of riders (unlike the great Mick Andrews who I still consider the better rider) but there is absolutely no doubting his massive contribution to motorcycling in general. I hope the day went well.
Rob Harknett

Sammy Miller Museum

Post by Rob Harknett »

There are many successful motor cyclist out there the club has not honoured. Why, because a persons success was not really the main consideration in awarding honary membership. Theres the persons contribution in our interest e.g. AJS & Matchless, also our club. Did you attend the home comming rally 1989 at Plumsted, & 2 more recent club events at Plumsted. Sammy Miller did, and with a great show of bikes and bikes in action for us. Colin Sealey is another person honoured. He will turn up at our local section meetings and give us an interesting evening. More recently he turned up at the 2011 Alternative Rally.
Sammys was given the yes vote at our AGM, those not attending have no say, having not attended and made their vote. They had the chance and did not take it.
firedfromthecircus

Sammy Miller Museum

Post by firedfromthecircus »

quote:
If 'Flash' couldn't be bothered to attend the AGM (only surmising) and view his feelings then, he now has no right to comment. Forum ettiquette prevents me from saying more!

quote:
Sammys was given the yes vote at our AGM, those not attending have no say, having not attended and made their vote. They had the chance and did not take it.

So a fully paid up member of the club who cannot attend the AGM has no say in the affairs of the club?
Don't like the sound of that very much!

I don't agree with Flash in this instance as I think Mr Miller is a deserving honorary member, but I think he is entitled to his opinion, and to express it.
Cerberus

Sammy Miller Museum

Post by Cerberus »

"a fully paid up member of the club who cannot attend the AGM has no say in the affairs of the club"

That's SOP for an AGM in all clubs and societies, including companies with shareholders. I'm not sure, however, whether ,there was an opportunity to request a proxy for the AGM (which is quite common).

For what it is worth, I abstained, not knowing the history.