G15CS Missing parts and hello !!

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

Slocomes had four G15CS models delivered one with an engine and frame number starting with 123, and the other three with an E/F starting 124. They were all dispatched from Norton Matchless Division at Plumstead on the 24 October 1969. The 124 number shows that they were built in 1967, and sold as a 1968 model year. There is a silver brochure that shows the coil ignition G15CS and N15CS, and there was also a road test of an N15CS or the later coil ignition model published in the America magazine Motorcyclist April 1967on page 31. I found it at the Ally Pally autojumble back in late 1970's or early 1980's. I was with a friend of mine and he found it. It was the only one i have ever seen of a later factory N15CS being road tested in the later 1960's. Those Amal Concentirc carbs came with two different types of air cleaners, as i found out with my own G15CSR, and my other CS models. There was two different lenghts of brasckets used to to bolt on the wedge shaped air filters onto the Amal Concentric carbs.Use a WM2 19 front wheel with a 3.25 x 19 tyre, or a 350 x 19 as the factory used. A ribbed Avon 3.25 x 19 works better on the front.The rear tyre was a 400x18 so try for an Avon Gripster, as they can be used off road, as well on the road, asnd look really good on a CS model. The coil bracket 033008 behind the oil tank will fracture and break up, into four or five small pieces, as the MA12 coils are just too heavy for it. I still have my one or whats left of it. It fell apart on the A10 just past Enfield, when it fell out from behind the back of the oil tank. The bracket 033058 that holds the ignition switch, bolted to the frame under the petrol tank, will some times move, touch the frame and short out the ignition system and the engine will stop running, and you will not know why. This is one of the reasons. The advance and retard unit 54418910 is now most probably totally worn out by now, and the Lucas 4CA CB's are a real pain to adjust with that alloy primay chaincase. Fit a Boyer or a Pazon ignition and used the smaller 6 volt coils, with solid copper HT leads. Use Champion N3 spark plugs, gapped at 0.025" Do not even attempt to fit two Lucas MKZ5E equivelent batteries, as they will both fail, but fit a 12 volt battery YB5L-B. Use the export battery strap, and also fit a fuse as the factory never bothered, and only fitted them to the P11 series. Once the battery is in it is a pain to get it out, so you may have to file the sides of the inner cover for it to move in and out. Do not forget that a spacer was used between the inner cover and the top of the frame. This was done as the later dual seat was made slimmer, so the battery box and oil tank was pulled in as they would have stuck out too far. The battery cover does not fit that well, ( an under statement) and used a washer 000012 on the out side of the cover under the screw, and with two lock nuts on the inside. I remember when i worked at Gus Kuhn Motors, and i kept seeing these brand new G15CS's turning up at the shop, and they just looked stunning. The shop also had a new Norton N15CS displayed in the show room, and i would always go and just stand and look at it. George the salesman told me he hated that bike as he could have sold it 30 times over, as he had so many enquires about it to buy it. It was bought by an airline pilot that was storing it at Gus Kuhn's. The later G15CS models were finally a really good bike, and it was a such a shame it came to an end.
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

I have tried to post a picture of my own N15CS but it looks like i can not do it, or my anti virus will not let me. The club raffle bike a few years back was a very late Matchless G15CS, the coil ignition type. The factory paint started with a white primer, and this was followed by a silver base coat and finally the candy apple red colour coat. There was no clear coat added. Candy apple red fades badly when left in the sun. Most original paint jobs look orange/red now. There was also slight colour variations from tank to tank. All the tank pinstriping was applied by hand. Try F&D in Essex for paint, or Maldon Powder Coating also in Essex. The last Matchless G15CS was 124371 and this was dispatched in April 1968 just in case you wanted to know. The last Norton N15CS was 124368 and this was dispatched in November 1967 for those looking at this.
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

A small point but those flip up footrest as used on the G15CS models looks like a very close match to the rear pillion footrests that i have seen on the other AMC twin and single models. Walridge Motors are doing repros or Russell Motors may have the originals still in stock and and may be the complete footrest assembly. The footrests are also handed, left and right hand.
schwantzz

Post by schwantzz »

Well that's my bike you mentioned a couple of posts above - the 123 number!! slightly worrying that you know more about the history of my bike that I do myself!!

You probably can't see from the picture but I do have the footpeg brackets. The left one is perfect but the right has been bent and the remains of a footpeg welded into the slot. This shouldn’t be too much of a problem to repair even if I have to machine a new boss and weld / braze into the bracket as per the original. I am confident of replicating the original pegs with some 3/8” flat and round bar if originals can’t be sourced at a reasonable price.

I bought some new Bridgestone BT45 tyres cheap on Ebay recently. One 18x4.00 Rear and two 19x3.25 Fronts, these might go on the G15 but could also go on a BMW R80/7 I’m doing for my Brother in law if not suitable. Incidentally I've noticed a lot of bikes have a big gap under the front mudguard (mine included) Is this to leave room for the knobbly tyres?

It’s very interesting that you mention the placement of the ignition switch. Mine is in front of the seat but I assumed it had been moved when the clock bracket was removed for Clip-on’s. When I made my Stainless steel clock bracket I luckily didn’t drill the centre hole that my pattern showed – what would that hole be for?
I just had a call from AMC spares who have now got some stock of the 031651 Handlebars. They are a T.J.Wassell made part. However I’m still considering some lower road bars. Originality or what in my opinion looks the best? Tricky !!

As for the toolbox cover fit – Awful. My toolbox is bent and I just can’t get it to sit right. I’m going to cut a wooden former using the lid as a template and reshape the toolbox onto that first. I may even reinforce the toolbox to help retain it’s shape by welding a small return around the inside.

Shame you can’t post the picture of your bike here John, I’d love to see it. Perhaps you could email it to me?
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

The bike that you own, and i do know the engine and frame number, and it ends in 7. This was dispatched to Slocombes of Neasdon, North London, 24 October 1969. Its card number was 1248, in case you wanted to know. Dougie Clarks of High Barnet, bought a huge amount of new parts from Slocombes and his shop was full of boxes stamped 033030. These were the very late wedge shaped air cleaner assemblies, for the Amal Concentric carbs, from Norton Matchless at Plumstead, and i still have some of them left. Now that was a great bike shop back then to go to and look in. I actualy visited Slocombes once back in the 1970's. I have a late export only G15CSR street scrambler that i posted on the forum. Look in the comp bike picture section and you will see my late CSR street scrambler. I bought it in 1970 from Coburn & Hughes in Haringay North London, when i lived in Manor House at the time. I rebuilt in my council flat, and i lived on the second floor at the time. I have the pictures to prove it so no one could nick it. The spares scheme JSL do the later battery covers, as would Walridge Motors and Russells. Go to Russells for the flip up footrest part as they should have loads of them. I think i have some knocking around some where. I also have an AJS 33CSR, and two other N15CS's, and i have been researching these bikes since 1970. The footrest is bolted onto the casting with 011599 bolts, and 000073 nuts. The P11 series used the same flip up arm, and nut and bolt assembly. The footrest arm is 029859. No washers were used and also no footrest rubbers were used on the footrest. Well who needs a rubber on a desert racer, as the whole idea was to stay on it when you were hauling through the desert at 80mph plus. If you do not believe me ask that amazing and incredable rider Mike Patrick. He held the number one plate in the desert on a G15CS in 1964, then again on a P11 in 1968. Later on a Yamaha in 1970.
The centre of the instrument bracket hole, was used for a Lucas light switch or an SA88 or part number 030170 (Lucas 54033190) This comes with the rubber knob 54330934, and a chrome centre screw, and washer.
The front wheel is on a 19 inch rim with a 21 inch front mudguard fitted. The reason there is a gap is because this is for mud clearence, so the front wheel does not get clogged up when racing on dirt tracks. The mudguards were originally chromed steel front and rear, and either Walridge or Renovation Spares in Redditch will have them. Also Steve Surby of AMC Classic Spares, may also stock them. If you use an alloy or chrome rear mudguard you will need a spacer 13192 that goes through the bolt 000342 and washer 000172, that bolts to the top of the rear number plate. The other two bolts are 014577, and two washers 000172. that screw into the rear number plates bottom bracket.
The ignition switch bracket 033058 fits under the seat, and his held on by the large nut and washer that hold the front and rear sub frame via the stud together. The nut is 000292, washer 000176. The stud seat lug is 028282 and its dimention are, 5/8x20x5 3/4. This is the later type, the earlier one is shorter, and was fitted to the earlier G15Mk2's and Atlas Scramblers E/F 107388 to 107589, and earlier CS models. The ignition bracket 033058, has a 9 degree bend 1 13/32" from the bottom. The pattern ones are just flat. The bracket is 3 1/8" in length. The top hole is 5/8" wide, and the bottom is 13/16" wide. All dimentions are in inches. The brackets fits on the bike as so. Dual seat tang, bracket (033058) washer 000176, nut 000292. The nut 000292 is 5/8 x 20", washer 000176 is 5/8 x 1 x 1/16. The ignition switch is Lucas p/n 31889B, or an S45. The fixing nut is Lucas 541130041, and under this is a very thin washer. The speedo and revcounter brackets are availbale from either Russel Motors,Norvil, or Walridge Motors. I think this covers all your questions. I have written a book on the G15 and N15 series, but it is not finished, as i was also writing the P11 book and this has now almost been completed
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

Look on pages 3 and 4 of the competition picture section for two pictures of my G15CSR. These were that batch of CSR's made and dispatched.
Christian Gyde

Post by Christian Gyde »

My September 1965 G15CS:

Not strictly correct, but close.

The Silver Brochure:
http://tinyurl.com/6d65ukb

A few G15/N15CS reviews and info:
http://tinyurl.com/6d8v3ka
http://tinyurl.com/64fsrte
http://tinyurl.com/6cjtfqg

Spares lists and instruction manual are also available form the archives: http://archives.jampot.dk/

A set of G15CS folding foot pegs was sold on US Ebay last week for £125.

Rgds,
Christian
schwantzz

Post by schwantzz »

Hello all, after a mad flurry of activity I haven't had the chance to get into the garage in the last week or so but armed with my newfound knowledge and part numbers etc I have been making lots of calls to suppliers looking for the parts I need. Steve Surby of AMC Classic Spares has been most helpfull and I look forward to a delivery of parts form him very soon so I can push on with the work.

John - I found the pictures of your bikes in the photo section - Mmmmmm, very nice indeed.
And Christian, thank you for the links on the post above, I have been doing a lot of browsing on the internet for anything Hybrid related (possibly too much in front of the PC and not enough time in the garage!!). I love all the old brochures and road tests etc...
As for the picture you posted of your bike WOW, it looks amazing, I know it isn't 100% correct but what a beatiful bike. I have now saved some images onto my phone and when I get fed up at work I have a lttle look to cheer me up!! They are great motivation to get cracking with my own bike. I do wish I had the funds and time to completely strip and rebuild my bike now though. Perhaps next year!

So next jobs are to repair footpeg bracket and fit new pegs. Service the forks and rebuild front end.
bunners

Post by bunners »

Hi Schwantzz, You may have noticed the amount of support you are getting from fellow paid up members of this forum, have you thought of joining to get the full benifit of the club that is not available to a Guest? By the way Nice Bike, Nah not its not nice its Bl***Y lovelyEdited by - bunners on 21 Sep 2011 7:30:03 PM
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
en7jos

Post by en7jos »

Hi Steve. Sounds like you have many happy hours of tinkering in the shed ahead of you!

Just to reiterate what was mentioned above, it would be great if you became a full member of the owners club. There's bound to be many more questions and problems ahead, and as you have already seen, there are many people on this forum with more knowledge than us newbies could ever hope for who are more than happy to help.

Your membership would help support the club, cover some the many unseen costs behind the forum etc, and also give you access to many other benefits that being a member brings. Click "Club" then "Membership" in the above menu for the full details. Oh and there's the club spares service too where members get a discount which cover actually more than cover the joining fee after purchasing a few spares!

Go on, you know you want to!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
My Matchless G3LS website is here - http://www.matchlessclueless.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------