Front hubs and brakes

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Matthew

Front hubs and brakes

Post by Matthew »

Hi all. I am new to old motor bikes.
My '51 G3LS has a full width front hub and I think this is wrong for this bike. When I bought the bike I got a spare front wheel and brake back plate with a narrower brake drum.
My question is....Is there a differance in the fork botoms between the differant hubs?? I got a puncture on sunday & thought I would put my spare wheel in but the brake plate securing arm dosent line up with any bolt holes. Am I missing a bracket?? Also the brake cabel ancorage is differant.

Thanks for any help
Branston

Front hubs and brakes

Post by Branston »

Sounds like the brake plate you have is for a 48-49 type which requires a different fork-leg to match its double bolt anchoring points. The later 1950-53 brake plates all fit those forks OK, using the torque arm.But torque arms are different depending on whether the brake operating lever goes to the rear of the leg (50-52) or to the front of the leg 53 on!
As usual nothing is ever simple!
Cheers
Richard
stevie

Front hubs and brakes

Post by stevie »

Hi Matthew,
My '53 G3LS also has a full width hub at the front when I think it was 'correct' (it's got one at the back too but that's definitely later) I was told that the full hubs are better brakes . Are you sure you want to change it?
Kind regards
Steve
If a man speaks in the forest and his wife is not there to hear him is he still wrong?
wilko

Front hubs and brakes

Post by wilko »

I'm fairly sure the brakeshoe width is the same for both. that is 1 1/8".
Matthew

Front hubs and brakes

Post by Matthew »

Hi guys thanks for your coments.

I dont know what one is correct for my bike. Suposedly a '51. I personaly like the look of the narrow brake type and my rear wheel is the narrow type.
My front brake cabel comes down the front of the fork leg and is ancored to the torque arm. Again, I dont know if this is correct.

I posted some pictures but may have to wait a couple of days for them to come up. Another thing with the pics, when I tried to post some more a message came up saying they where already on file. I dont know why??

Thanks again.

Cheers, Matthew.
Peter Lecompte

Front hubs and brakes

Post by Peter Lecompte »

Hi, just wondering if someone knows the correct size (read legnth) for the 'bolt, anchor, front cover plate" part # STD-372? These are the 2 off bolts that go through the side of the left slider and hold the front brake cover plate for my 1949 G3L. Thanks peter
RayRST

Front hubs and brakes

Post by RayRST »

Peter, I have just taken one of the bolts out of my 1948 16M and the length from the underside of the hex to the end is 2 3/8" or 55mm the thread length is 5/8" or 15mm

Regards
Ray
Regards
Ray Kell
Peter Lecompte

Front hubs and brakes

Post by Peter Lecompte »

Hi Ray, many thanks for going to to the trouble of checking one that was fitted. I will now go and order some so that i can complete the front end. Cheers Peter