Dynamo mounting

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
wilko

Dynamo mounting

Post by wilko »

No need to change the sprocket ratio unless you ride around in town stop starting. I've been using the smaller setup for years.Anyway i don't like the idea of the armature thrashing around any faster than need be.
SPRIDDLER

Dynamo mounting

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
Anyway i don't like the idea of the armature thrashing around any faster than need be.

I go with that Wilko - it's always niggled me that on mag ign engines the dynamo is whizzing around pointlessly (when lights aren't being used) - perhaps 90% of the time.
I have mulled over fitting some sort of clutch device - especially if one has to use pattern dyno brushes: I bought a pair at a jumble which seemed to be made of compressed soot and only lasted a couple of thou miles leaving a filthy mess inside.
Luckily I've got hold of some NOS brushes which are made of a harder material, rather like pencil lead.Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 19 Jul 2011 10:26:04 AM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Groily

Dynamo mounting

Post by Groily »

At least it isn't doing much work though Neville until you load it - unlike a truly wasteful alternator with a zener or regulator. OTOH a clutch would be quite fun, 'til it broke, of course . . .!