Rocker feed.

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
John B.

Rocker feed.

Post by John B. »

Thanks for that info. chaps. Have got Bruce Main-Smiths book today and from his description I think my locating pin on the pump shaft is worn out. Hope thats all anyway. Will strip it tomorrow to see.
Don Madden

Rocker feed.

Post by Don Madden »

When you check it pull the floating pin from the holder that screws into the case. The small end goes in first, the large end to the plunger. Cheers, Don.
John B.

Rocker feed.

Post by John B. »

Don, as they said on Startrek, " It's worse than that, he's dead Jim". Bit of a mess. The last person to insert the index plunger pin did not understand how it worked!! On not being able to screw it home they cunningly ground it off. With the sleeve bolt fully in the pin does not protrude into the shaft tube. More questions. Does the sleeve bolt go fully home? Mine tightens up with about one thread left. Perhaps it should have a washer? Using a caliper I estimate that the pin should protrude from the sleeve bolt about 1/4"? John B.
Don Madden

Rocker feed.

Post by Don Madden »

The plot thickens! The sleeve goes in all the way but there will be about a thread showing & no washer is used. It should stick up a little less than the depth of the plunger groove, about 1/4in. Cheers, Don. Edited by - Don Madden on 03 Jun 2011 8:12:43 PM
wilko

Rocker feed.

Post by wilko »

It's been years since i looked at mine but i remember the pin sits in the holder opposite to how you would logically fit it. Beware!
John B.

Rocker feed.

Post by John B. »

John B.

Rocker feed.

Post by John B. »

Sorry about the blank above. Getting before me- self!! Good news is, received new pin from our wonderful spares dept. this morning. Assembled carefully before lunch and BINGO we have oil flow to rockers on Kick start alone so well happy. Thanks for all help chaps. JB.
wilko

Rocker feed.

Post by wilko »

Show us a closeup of your old pin. I've heard of them wearing but never seen it.
John B.

Rocker feed.

Post by John B. »

Hi Wilco, will have to get a mate to do a close up shot for me as those pins are small! What really happened was, I think the guy who fitted it last did'nt get it in far enough, and it chewed the bit that was engaged. Not a lot but enough to stop it working properly. JB.