G9 questions

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Samuel

G9 questions

Post by Samuel »

I've had a G9 since last autumn and am learning about it step by step.

A couple of questions :-

Why did the specified main jet change from 240 to 220 for model years 1957 to 1958?

How are you supposed to remove the seat on a cold or wet night? -
The rear bolts appear to locate in non captive nuts hidden inside the frame rails and you can barely get your fingers on them to hold them in place.

Sam
Sam
Merlin

G9 questions

Post by Merlin »

How are you supposed to remove the seat on a cold or wet night? -
The rear bolts appear to locate in non captive nuts hidden inside the frame rails and you can barely get your fingers on them to hold them in place

Nimble fingers are required pity I don't have any,join the club also buggers the knees whilst trying.
Chemists do it with test tubes
GSAX1

G9 questions

Post by GSAX1 »

I seem to recall that an air cleaner was fitted as standard for the 57-58 year, hence the main jet change.
Samuel

G9 questions

Post by Samuel »

quote:
I seem to recall that an air cleaner was fitted as standard for the 57-58 year, hence the main jet change.

The specification says 240/220 for 57 and 220/210 (i think) for 58 - this is to allow for aircleaner so that does not explain it.
Sam
Groily

G9 questions

Post by Groily »

On the seat thing, I've got round that major PITA this past few decades by using setscrews pointing outwards from the inside of the subframe with a thin outboard nut holding them to it, then a gentle spring-apart of the seat base to get it over what now look like studs, and washers and brass acorn or blind nuts on the outside. Seat comes off in, literally, 2 mins or less, and more importantly, goes back just as easily! Done it for single cradle Jampot and twin cradle post-Jampot beasts but not original, I readily concede . . .
For the jets, I suppose the factory found the things ran as well or better at 3/4 to full throttle with what is only a very slightly smaller jet? Unless there were any other tweaks in the top end department that year. I wouldn't worry about it though. If with the 220 the engine holds back on full blast / goes better throttle slightly backed off, I'd shove the larger one in. And if it's too rich at full chat on the 240 - you'd have to do a roadside plug chop to see - then I'd shove the smaller one in (or try a 230 in either case). But always better a tad too rich than too weak I'd say. Good luck!