Big end knock?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
MikeM.

Big end knock?

Post by MikeM. »

Take care with the ignition too far advanced, you might finish up with a holed piston as I did some years ago.
g80csp11

Big end knock?

Post by g80csp11 »

I spent years looking for the source of unusual 'knocking' under load only to find out it was gearbox mainshaft end play . shimmed up a couple of months ago and now everything is OK ( 1946 G80 with CP box )

rex.webb

Big end knock?

Post by rex.webb »

Like us "Everything is Wearing" the bikes have been about a LONG ! time like some of us,
Have a GREAT WEEKEND With a TV or ON the BIKE.
Ride with Care and Live Long
r w webb
zwarts

Big end knock?

Post by zwarts »

As has been pointed out many times before on this forum, the original ignition timing setting of 0.5 inch BTDC is too far advanced for the stuff that passes as petrol these days (unless you are fortunate enough to have a supply of leaded 4 star nearby). I cannot speak for the 350cc singles but the 500's are much happier at 7/16ths or even 3/8ths. BTDC on full advance. Of course you pay a price in loss of performance for this but the engine will feel happier.
Bob.
wilko

Big end knock?

Post by wilko »

Speaking of endplay, have you checked your crank for this??
PDMiller799

Big end knock?

Post by PDMiller799 »

Must admit I haven't checked crank for end play recently. The last time I had the primary chaincase in bits as part of the latest attempt to stop it leaking I checked it and seem to remember it as being ok. The leak is tolerable just now but next time I have the outer case off I will check it properly.
My newly aquired G12 demands much of my time just now so the 18s has taken second place ( temporary ) in my affections. Maybe I should try golf. It wouldn't waken the neighbours or dribble oil on the drive
Malleon

Big end knock?

Post by Malleon »

Maybe not , but golf is even more frustrating!