gudgeon bush

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
ktofthewoefig

gudgeon bush

Post by ktofthewoefig »

Hello
Just received new gudgeon bush for my 55 single 500. The new bush has no hole drilled in it nor the groove running down the inside.
Arnt these essential to lubricate?
PS follewed the member/non member debate and came down on the side "you dont get anything for free" and sent off my application to join club over a week ago.
Thanks guys

itma

gudgeon bush

Post by itma »

drill the hole when its in place and before its reamed, if you can, countersink it lightly.
you can do without the groove.

[as indeed I have done all my life)
Malleon

gudgeon bush

Post by Malleon »

Welcome to the best one-make crowd, united in an unexplainable devotion to certain aging metal masses. The Notts. and Derby Section is a good 'un, well worth a visit to get to know them, and I hope to see you at the Bishop Auckland Jampot; there is also an Open Day at Jampot Spares in a fortnight (14th), come and see how the scheme works.
Best regards.
ktofthewoefig

gudgeon bush

Post by ktofthewoefig »

So, I`ve bought a bush which I have to drill and countersink myself, ok i can manage that at a push, but I also have to ream it!!! I dont have an exact idea what that involves, and i doubt I have the equipment to achieve it.
Also the new bush weighs about six times what the old one does. Old fangled alchemy I presume.
Are these bikes worth it? Sometimes I feel like I idolise them, which can`t be good.
Thanks for the welcome Malcolm
laxy

gudgeon bush

Post by laxy »

Hi Steve and welcome.you should always be prepared to ream new bushes to exact size due to the manufacturers tolerances.It isnt a dificult job and it is done by hand using a reamer,a bladed tool that removes metal to obtain the required size/fit.you can buy adjustable ones but if you get yourself down to your local section I,m sure someone will be able to help you out.Regarding the absence of the oilgroove and hole,Im surprised about that.Where did you obtain the bush from? If its not the same spec as the original you should be advised by the supplier
ktofthewoefig

gudgeon bush

Post by ktofthewoefig »

Hello Keith
Thanks for the welcome and the information. Bush supplied by AMC spares.
itma

gudgeon bush

Post by itma »

it will be a brass bush rather than the original white metal ones, reaming is a necesary evil I am afraid.
AMC ones were supplied with tolerances which allowed for fitting.
No one is up to that standard these days.
I am sure someone at your nearest section will be able to sort you.