G3L Gearbox casing

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
RUSHTON

G3L Gearbox casing

Post by RUSHTON »

1944 G3L 350
I have fitted a new kick-starter quadrant into the cover and about to replace the cover onto the main casing. I followed the instructions in the manual regarding the gear selector spring box and quadrant. I located the “O” stampings on the camshaft and gear change toothed selector, and lined them up.
I am then instructed to take the assembly and fit it into the kick starter case cover.
My question is how do I ensure the 2 “O” stampings are correctly engaged when replacing the cover to the main casing?
Am I misinterpreting the instructions or is there another way to fit this?
clive

G3L Gearbox casing

Post by clive »

If I remember correctly from the last time I did this I lined it all up so that the O was in the centre on the change wheel. Then put the change mechanism in the cover AND USED THE GEAR CHANGE LEVER to hold it all central whilst I pushed the cover on so that the little pegs engaged. If you get it wrong you will not be able to engage all 4 gears , if you can you got it right. Good luck
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
RUSHTON

G3L Gearbox casing

Post by RUSHTON »

Thanks Clive,
I did as you said and marked the "O's" with tipex and carefully assembled the cover. After a bit of fiddling I managed to engage the quadrant with the cam and have all 4 gears.
Another job to cross off the list!
Again, Many thanks, R