AJS 18CS tacho

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
harrisrotax

AJS 18CS tacho

Post by harrisrotax »

Hi

Not much information about tacho mounting for 18CS.In some Smiths catalogs is mentioned that 18CS used/was possible to order with Smiths RC95/1 tacho.I think this tacho is 8000/anticlockwise/4:1 meter.
How is this tacho gearbox attached to the engine?Are these parts still available by some AJS parts reseller?

Regards
Marty

AJS 18CS tacho

Post by Marty »

The only single comp model to be fitted with a tacho was the G80R. I have fitted them by mounting the tach drive gearbox to the timing chain cover after finding the centre of exhaust cam and milling or filing a flat on the outside of the cover and drilling and tapping the 2 mounting screws. Some build up the mounting area with weld to strenghten the mounting point as the factory did
The tach can be mounted on the speedo bracket or a purpose built circular bracket as per the G80R
The tacho needs to match the drive gearbox in ratio (2:1 or 4:1) and direction of rotation. Any instrument repairer can change the tach from cw to ccw or reverse to match the gearbox
MartyEdited by - Marty on 26 Mar 2011 03:17:24 AM
harrisrotax

AJS 18CS tacho

Post by harrisrotax »

Hi Marty

Thanks for your reply.It is something what I will do in future.Need to make a plan how to attach the tacho gearbox to timing chain cover.
I think to weld a support bracket to the cover to keep the gearbox in straight and good position.

I did not know that 18CS was not supplied with tacho from factory as Gold Star did.