sump plug ?

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
jim carlow

sump plug ?

Post by jim carlow »

Hi all, just changing the oil on the 57G9. Thought I might chnge the drain plug for a magnetic one, good idea ?
Anyway, my crankcase is a 53 one. are all drain plugs the same size thread ? Don't want to get new plug for nothing .
Have drained out oil tank and sump , what more can I do to get ex oil out ?
Jim
ushbert

sump plug ?

Post by ushbert »

The twin crankcase does not carry any oil in a sump so if you have drained it there should not be any more to come.
The magnetic drain plug is interchangeable with the earlier non-magnetic one
jim carlow

sump plug ?

Post by jim carlow »

Thanks ushbert, can't see one on jampot spares though, any ideas ?
Jim
Malleon

sump plug ?

Post by Malleon »

Try Andrew Engineering (Leigh) Ltd.,
Part No. 022538, £5.76 inc. VAT plus P & P.
Telephone 01942 888848.
Best regards.
jim carlow

sump plug ?

Post by jim carlow »

Thanks spriddler, you've answered my query really. I remember the drain plug on the mini but also one of the annual updates on AMC twins was a magnetic drain plug in place of a filter. I can't remember which one though. Anyway thinking about it the oil will be changed much more now than required so probably not worth the effort of tracing one. Thanks Jim
Jim
SPRIDDLER

sump plug ?

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Whilst on the subject (waiting for the spin cycle to end) maybe it's worth mentioning what is probably common practice:
I stick to oil changing every 1000 miles.
I've a magnet about the size of a shirt button on the end of a thin telescopic handle which I poke around inside the oil tank after draining, seeking out any steel swarf. I drain oil from th'engine into an open-topped container and then transfer it into a storage can, peering in the bottom at the last pint or so for any nasties. If I'm in the mood I swish out the oil tank with paraffin or diesel.
There is usually a sprinkling of tiny specks of ali dust glittering inside the felt filter but I don't consider that as indicative of a significant problem; that's what it's there for.
Aha! Spin's finished - time to pick the fluff out of the Velcro on my jacket.
Must get out more
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Eric

sump plug ?

Post by Eric »

spriddler you have missed the point.

There will always be some metallic particles circulating around in the lubricating oil even when there is nothing wrong, just because of normal wear and tear.

Unless you have a really good modern in line filter, a magnetic sump plug or something similar, those particles will continue to go round and round and round.

Together with other non magnetic metallic particles e.g. Aluminium, Phosphor Bronze that sort of stuff, they will all combine to form a very mild grinding paste, so why not make every effort possible to trap them and stop the merry go round?
Don Madden

sump plug ?

Post by Don Madden »

You cannot fit the AMC magnetic "filter" plug in singles before 1956. The drain was relocated that year to a position with more clearance. Cheers, Don.
SPRIDDLER

sump plug ?

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
spriddler you have missed the point.

There will always be some metallic particles circulating around in the lubricating oil even when there is nothing wrong, just because of normal wear and tear.

Agreed Eric. There will always be some metallic particles circulating around... and there are advantages to fitting a magnetic plug, but my point was more a question of it indicating signs of trouble if when you take it out it looks like a hedgehog on Ecstasy. It's a question of degree; one man's 'some ' is another's cardiac arrest
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Eric

sump plug ?

Post by Eric »

If it helps my 1960 G9 twin has a magnetic crankcase drain plug that I believe is standard so when I can find my parts book I will look up the number.

Or why not just ask at JSL if they have them in stock and if they are the magnetic type? Job Done.