Petrol Tank fixings

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
mikeydpippin

Petrol Tank fixings

Post by mikeydpippin »

Advise please! it looks as though 2 of the threads in my G3 petrol tank has stripped i have ordered 4 new bolts from the spares club hoping these will fit and the only unrattled bolt maybe threadbare not helping the problem.
If not and the threads on the tank are stripped will i be able to cut a larger thread and use threaded bar or maybe use a helicoil.I have a tap and die set new and unused,why? because i'm not sure if i'm confident enough to use it,and even if this would be suitable.My alternative is to hand over to engineering company,i want a long term solution rather than a mikeyd bodge.
I see Biscuit (bless him)on a previous threaded thought of cutting a slot in the welded plate and sliding in a bolt.
Your thoughts ideas welcome.
Mike
itma

Petrol Tank fixings

Post by itma »

you'll be lucky.
depending on the state of your tank, you can cut out the relevant parts and renew them, they wil tap out one size larger ok.
yor first job is to check that what ever was there before has not been pushed through the bottom of the tank, a common one that.

If you have had it painted or chromed I have other solutions.
First have another look [are they back or front mounts?] at the bit of bar that has the stripped threads, is there room to slide something thin llike a penny washer under it?
some do some don't.
mikeydpippin

Petrol Tank fixings

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks Ken,There are 4 plates 2 front and 2 at the back,looks as though problem maybe with 1 front and 1 back. No damage done to tank and just possible to slide a washer under plates.
Painted underneath also.
Mike
itma

Petrol Tank fixings

Post by itma »

i will get back to you, with some ideas
but now time for my cocoa
mikeydpippin

Petrol Tank fixings

Post by mikeydpippin »

While your having your cocoa I thought, what does ITMA stand for Google says
The full title of the popular 1940s BBC radio comedy - ITMA.

Origin
The title derived from newspaper references to Adolf Hitler. The show became very popular and after a while the 'man' of It's That Man Again came to be thought of as Tommy Handley, the lead actor. The show made heavy use of catchphrases, some of which have been assimilated into the language:

"I don’t mind if I do" (From the comic device where Colonel Chinstrap invariably turned remarks into offers of a drink.)
"After you, Claude - no, After you Cecil."
"TTFN" (Ta ta for now.)

After all it cant mean International Tyre Making Association.Can it???

So Ta Ta For Now Ken,enjoy your cocoa.
I'm sure someone will come up with alternatives.
Mike
wilko

Petrol Tank fixings

Post by wilko »

I drilled the holes out to about 1/2inch and bronzed in some 5/16 cycle nuts which i ground round to fit the hole.Leave a dummy bolt screwed into the nut to protect the thread.
paul knapp

Petrol Tank fixings

Post by paul knapp »

Only two stripped threads there MikeyD, I found the four of them very thread bare on my tank.
An easy repair with caution!
I did as you have in mind, I drilled and tapped the four holes out to 7/16" 26tpi, then I turned up four 7/16" plugs with the correct 5/16" 26tpi holes in them. The original threaded strip on the tank mount is 3/16" thick, so I made my little inserts a good 1/4" long then screwed them flush into the new tank holes using 601 high strength Loctite to keep them in place.
The hardest part was drilling the damaged holes out so as to not damage the tank bottom. I ended up turning the drill chuck by hand so as to not put a hole right through into the tank

___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

mikeydpippin

Petrol Tank fixings

Post by mikeydpippin »

To update bolts have arrived 3 fitted and tightened fine,but third not tightened so good.I have wired together and will keep eye on them.
Thanks for the "ideas" will keep for future reference.
Mike