53 G9 276 amal...should i change carbs?

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
zorba69

Post by zorba69 »

Hi,

After 2 years of rebuilding my G9 it is nearly registered for the road. Problem is i am having fuel issues with the 276 pre monoblock carb. Can't seem to start her. Checked all other avenues ie valves, timing, spark, clean maggie, plugs & points correct way round.
I did flush the tank & took her for a half hr ride then she slowly lost power in the throttle & haven't been able to get her idling again.
Does anyone use fuel filters between petcocks & banjos?
Should my 276 be 'leaking' fuel AT ALL?
Should i just do away with it & go for a later model monoblock?
Am i on the right path?

Any ideas would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
Chris.
KeithMeadmore

Post by KeithMeadmore »

Hello Chris,
I have exactly the same model G9, same year 1953 with its original 276 and maybe had something similar perhaps. Lost power when motoring along at 55 mph. I thought I'd run dry, so while still going along I immediately went for the reserve tap and it fired up again perfectly. I have the original push-pull cork type taps and it turned out to be a bit of dirt lodged in the tap above the cork and completely blocking the flow. Next opportunity I will be fitting replacements with the filters.

My 276 carb also tends to drip a bit from its air vents if I over-tickle it when first starting. Stops dripping once petrol level settles in float chamber. I couldn't find anything wrong in the float chamber, but then heard it is a common fault on 276 and have just learned to be careful and tickling only to the point when I get the first sign of pertrol on my glove.

Hope this is useful

Keith

quote:
Hi,

After 2 years of rebuilding my G9 it is nearly registered for the road. Problem is i am having fuel issues with the 276 pre monoblock carb. Can't seem to start her. Checked all other avenues ie valves, timing, spark, clean maggie, plugs & points correct way round.
I did flush the tank & took her for a half hr ride then she slowly lost power in the throttle & haven't been able to get her idling again.
Does anyone use fuel filters between petcocks & banjos?
Should my 276 be 'leaking' fuel AT ALL?
Should i just do away with it & go for a later model monoblock?
Am i on the right path?

Any ideas would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
Chris.