B52 Clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
iandusud

B52 Clutch

Post by iandusud »

They had some when I ordered a couple of weeks ago. For info it transpires that the model 20 I'm working on has a 350 clutch basket with a 500 clutch centre, hence the extra plates wouldn't fit. I'm going to try it as is, as the owner wasn't complaining of any clutch slip.

Ian
Groily

B52 Clutch

Post by Groily »

So that's why you were having trouble in the beginning with a friction plate coming off the drum. Makes perfect sense now.
The next issue will be whether the pressure plate fouls the deep centre before the plates are well compressed - just guessing! But if it worked before . . .
Just so we know - did you happen to measure the bits you've got? Be really good to have definitive info after all this palaver.

And if it transpires that I have 2 spares of the 500 baskets in the box . . . you're welcome to one. Bit of clean-up on the raised bits would be good, as ever, but serviceable if they're the right size and you need/want one.
iandusud

B52 Clutch

Post by iandusud »

Hi Groily, thanks for the offer of a clutch basket. I'll see if this one works ok. I measured up the clutch plates from JSL. I don't remember the dimensions now but they came up slightly thinner than the ones already fitted. I think the friction plate came up at 0.179".

Cheers, Ian