Check your front brake anchor arm.

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

quote:
I agree with Itma!!-I've just replaced a rather worn out kickstart shaft on my V----t-it cost me 60 quid-ouch!-but it is 63 years old! I've trodden on it for 36 years!-will the replacement last as long? I know I will not last another 36 years!

Sorry I missed you at Stafford, but if you went on Sunday, I was there Saturday so it's not surprising. See you in Street next month?
Ref. your last sentence above, don't be so pessimistic !!!
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Malcolm,I was there on Saturday, along with perhaps 40,000 others!-I will be at "Streete"-God and "Me model 20 willing!-if I last another 36 years that will make me 106!!-mind you, "me Gran" made it to 103, but she did not ride a motorcycle!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Alan,
If that same God looks favourably on my G11, and His (or Her?) angels look after me, I will be in Street on the Friday, lunch time-ish, so the offer of a pint still stands!
Ride safely
Malcolm (Thumper) Weaver.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
The bolt did not fail, it was the end of the brake stay.

For interest, here's a torque arm just come up on eBay...

Click to enlarge the photo and observe the worn bolt hole at the brake end of the arm.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AJS-Matchless-Fro ... 335ed5795f

Caveat emptor, or what?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

This is must be worth at least £150 in this condition (i.e. SCRAP). How long before someone starts a bidding frenzy?
Bob.
itma

Post by itma »

a £150 bid will certainly put the mockers on it as would a £15,000 bid.

There is a process known as auction wrecking.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Got hooked on this thread.

I'm using the same torque arm as was on the G80S when I got it around 1973, the "original" design.

I had it re-chromed. I did replace the bolt with one from JLS as the "original" was a tad rounded from over enthusiastic tightening (not by me). But the fit is good and there's no movement.

No washer and many thousands of miles covered and at the last MoT the tester commented on how well the brakes worked.

I don't think I'm worried but......no, I'm not.

The factory response may well have been a sensible reaction to failure caused by faulty fitting, treatment or whatever; over engineering to cope with incorrect usage?

I'll stick with Biscuit's advice.

Johnny B

Peter Lecompte

Post by Peter Lecompte »

Hi all, I have read this thread and others regards front brakes, front brake backing plate etc. I have an opportunity to decide what front brake to fit to my 1949 AJS Rigid 18. I say opportunity as I am still on the re-building phase of the front end. Was there a significant problem with the front brake that is held in position by the two bolts through the front left fork? Or is the front brake that uses a torsion arm the better way to go? And if so, for what reasons? Thanks Peter
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

There is no problem with any of these arrangements if common sense is applied when preparing/assembling them. It is difficult to see how the '49 type could fail in service and the later, torque arm arrangement, just needs to be checked for excessive clearance between the arm and the retaining bolt, and for full thickness at the end of the arm (beware of chromed arms where the polishing has been careless and removed much of the thikness here). I always weld a very large thick washer onto the torque arm to reinforce it where the bolt passes through. Finally use a high tensile BOLT ,not a fully threaded screw.
Bob.
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

Must put a picture of my "Torque Arm" in the pictures.
It was made by the Late Great
"Ernie Dorsett".
Ride with Care and Live Long.
r w webb