Matchless G12 CSR

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
lightning7a

Matchless G12 CSR

Post by lightning7a »

Hi I own a 1963 G12 CSR what type of headgaskets are you guys using Copper or the original type? Also the oil metering plugs to the rockers should I use or discard? the are standard for my model acording to my manual Interested in your comments Thanks

Matchless G12 CSR

Post by 1608 »

I find a manual for any vintage bike is a must, and that the forum is very useful but the two compliment eachother. The manual list many oiling and mechanical changes and improvements to the twins. There is also a section on this topic in the Technical Articles. To answer your question, yes the heads should have the metering jets They were ommited in 1959 but re-introduced in 62) . I recently rebuilt my '60 G12 and fitted metering jets, this improved the overoiling in the rocker area and prevented over oil induction via inlet valve.The plugs also stopped oiling up. The fact that AMC decided to re-introduce the jets suggets to me that they were needed. I find that there is more than enough oil within he rocker area when checking tappets etc.
Good luck

THERE IS ALSO MUCH DISCUSSION ON HEAD GASKETS (GO TO SEARCH FORUM ) YOU WILL GAIN MUCH.THE GENERAL CONSENSUS TENDS TO BE THAT COPPER RE-USUABLE BY ANNEALING TYPE ARE BETTER. BUT THE COMPOUND TYPE HAVE BEEN IMPROVED.IV'E HAD NO PROBS WITH MY COMPOUND TYPE. I THINK A LOT IS TO DO WITH THE WAY THE HEAD IS TESTED FOR FLAT AND FITTED.BUTSEE WHAT OTHERS SAY.Edited by - 1608 on 20 Nov 2010 12:42:46 PM
lightning7a

Matchless G12 CSR

Post by lightning7a »

Thanks for your comments pretty much what I was thinking Cheers
A Moderator

Matchless G12 CSR

Post by A Moderator »

Moved to here from Frequent Questions.