G9 Crank Removal

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
iandusud

G9 Crank Removal

Post by iandusud »

Hi Folks. I'm working on a 1957 G9. Can someone tell me if I need to remove the timing gears in order to split the cases and remove the crankshaft assembly.

Thanks, Ian
Don Madden

G9 Crank Removal

Post by Don Madden »

Are you stuttering? It is not necessary to remove the gears first. but advisabe to strip everything for cleaning & inspection. Do remove the cam gear nuts first, they are L/H thread & usually quite tight. The timing pinion gear can remain on the crankshaft as it will pass through the case with the bearing rollers. After the cases are split the you can lightly tap on the camshaft ends with a plastic or hide mallet to drive them through the gears as they are a light press fit. Never use any cone tipped gear puller for these gears as the forked ends break off easily. A threaded cup over the end is best but a thick washer over the ends & care will work. Cheers, Don.
iandusud

G9 Crank Removal

Post by iandusud »

Hi Don and thanks for the reply. I got impatient and went ahead. All went smoothly. Sorry about the stuttering It might be assocated with my inability to know what bike I'm working on - it's an AJS M20!

Cheers, Ian
Eric

G9 Crank Removal

Post by Eric »

You should find everything else you need to know about your re-build/strip down here: -

http://archives.jampot.dk

Also if you go to your earlier stutter you can delete it by clicking upon the small dustbin icon to the right of your post.
iandusud

G9 Crank Removal

Post by iandusud »

quote:
You should find everything else you need to know about your re-build/strip down here: -

http://archives.jampot.dk

Also if you go to your earlier stutter you can delete it by clicking upon the small dustbin icon to the right of your post.

Hi Eric. I don't have a delete icon for some reason??

Ian
Eric

G9 Crank Removal

Post by Eric »

Everyone who posts a new topic will have a series of icons to the extreme upper right right of the post the first three at the moment are blue.

The third blue one tries to represent a Blue Folder with a Dustbin attached thats the delete one.Edited by - Eric on 17 Nov 2010 7:15:03 PM
iandusud

G9 Crank Removal

Post by iandusud »

Hi Eric. For some strange reason I have the dustbin icon for all my replies but not for my original post?

Ian