G3 Fly wheels

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
KenWall

G3 Fly wheels

Post by KenWall »

Can anyone please give me some advice about the best fly wheels to fit to G3 trials machines I currently in the process of fine tuning?

I need plonk so does this mean heavy? What would be the best fly wheels to fit for this?

Are there any mods you can do to improve plonkability (is that a word?) with regards to the fly wheels?

Thanks in advance all..........
TommoT

G3 Fly wheels

Post by TommoT »

You could try and find a pair of G80 flywheels. They are thicker and heavier. Can't tell you exactly how much, since my G80 is fitted the other way around, i.e. with G3 flywheels.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
wilko

G3 Fly wheels

Post by wilko »

I was under the impression they were the same except for different balancing?
clive

G3 Fly wheels

Post by clive »

I too thought the G3 and G80 flywheels were the same thickness but the balance different. You don't say the year of your engine. If you want heavy flywheels for plenty of plonk then the 1952 flywheels were even heavier than usual. (explanation I have been given is Suez crisis so heavy flywheels for better MPG ).
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Merlin

G3 Fly wheels

Post by Merlin »

Thought Suez was 1956 but could be wrong usually am.
p.s
Google agrees with meEdited by - Merlin on 18 Oct 2010 12:00:08 PM
Chemists do it with test tubes
john

G3 Fly wheels

Post by john »

The early singles had different fly wheels for 350 and 500s but the later once were all based on the 500 dimensions. Perversely my 1953 350 trials bike is fitted with the earlier lighter and thinner flywheels! I guess the bloke who bolted my engine together liked a little more zip.

But I don’t think you will notice, I only realised my bike had been modified when I noticed a homemade spacer by the fly wheel when I had the engine apart.

John T
wilko

G3 Fly wheels

Post by wilko »

Just grind 40 thou off the top of your cams!
pkr87

G3 Fly wheels

Post by pkr87 »

If you grind 40 thou 0f the top of the cams I imagine you would grind through the hardening and they wouldn't last long after that.I have ground metal off the back of a Mini cam to gain more lift(before I could afford to buy proper cams from Pipers)the Mini went like stink but not for long.You have to learn somewhere don't you?