G12 Tyres

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Brian J Wilde

G12 Tyres

Post by Brian J Wilde »

I am thinking of fitting a new set of tyres on my newly purchased 1959 G12 (fitted with 3.25 Dunlop maxirib front and 3.5 Midas rear), what is forum members thoughts on fitting Dunlop K70,s front & rear (the Dunlop K70 tyres are universal for use on front or rear).
Regards Brian
dave16mct

G12 Tyres

Post by dave16mct »

Nothing wrong with K70's, made in Japan? I always go for Avon speedmasters myself. They are a bit cheaper and have a higher speed rating., and made in England. The front rib has a different feel to the block tread of K70's. Some people don't like 'em , You pays yer money......
greasemonkey62

G12 Tyres

Post by greasemonkey62 »

quote:
Nothing wrong with K70's, made in Japan? I always go for Avon speedmasters myself. They are a bit cheaper and have a higher speed rating., and made in England. The front rib has a different feel to the block tread of K70's. Some people don't like 'em , You pays yer money......

I have been thinking of renewing my rear Avon safety milage tyre for a Dunlop K series tyre (K85 ??) I didn`t know they were made abroad though, any tips on where to get "our" size tyres from as two bike shops I enquired at didn`t seem interested as they were not a stock size.
Cheers Ray.
bjork

G12 Tyres

Post by bjork »

I've been getting my tyres from C Wyldes in Leeds for a while now. Very quick and lower cost than anyone else I can find.
As for types, I prefer Avon Speedmaster/SM or better still Avon Roadriders-modern-ish but very very good and available in our sizes too.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
MikeM.

G12 Tyres

Post by MikeM. »

For many years I've used the Avon Speedmaster on the front, however I've now fitted a Mitas H-10, it has a deeper tread and costs a lot less, road holding no problem and hopefully more miles from it. The rear is still a K70 but I do have a Mitas to try when the K70 wears out.