OIL LEAK PAST TIMING SIDE MAIN SHAFT

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
OLD350

Post by OLD350 »

Hi All,

Has anyone ever experienced an oil leak past the timing side main shaft into the cambox of the WD G3L motor?

Are these the signs of a worn out timing side bush or could it be a worn pump housing leak?

Any thoughts on the matter will be greatly apreciated.

Best wishes,

Albert
AGP
wilko

Post by wilko »

Do you mean the outer mag cover?It usually means the bush doesn't have the appropiate reverse scroll machined into it to keep oil inside.Otherwise you must be on drugs! There's meant to be oil in the cambox to keep your cams lubricated!!
OLD350

Post by OLD350 »

The oil seems to be leaking out of the mainshaft bush in copious amounts. And this has started happening recently.
The level rises in the cambox to the point where it starts leaking out into the timing case via the inlet camshaft bush and is then thrown out onto the gearbox via the magneto aperture and a small breathing hole half way up the back of the timing case. I agree with you the cams need to be lubricated but not inundated !

Best wishes ,
Albert
AGP
bjork

Post by bjork »

As Wilko suggests, plus-is it wet sumping? Blocked scavenge or oil tank filter (very popular that one-had it meself) Could be a worn bush too, but it's easy to take that casing off and check it.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
itma

Post by itma »

possibly it is not getting through the drill ways that go through the shaft into the big end, that would push it out into the timing chest. [cam box as you call it]

I would be concerned because if this is the case either the TS bush has turned in is housing or an oil way is blocked in the flywheel/ shaft route.

My advice is to strip it and check.
wilko

Post by wilko »

But even when my engine wetsumps and i'm too lazy to drain it, it never does this. How did you check the level of the timing cover without taking it off and losing the oil anyway?Alas! I'm at a loss!