Nice sunny day,bike says no!!!!

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
rumpelstiltskin

Post by rumpelstiltskin »

Can't believe this.Brother and his missus were down yesterday she wanted to see the bike,she stood and said she'd never seen anything so old,then she turned and looked at the bike,cheeky mare!Anyway,it dutifully fired up first kick for them.When they had scarpered i put a new chaincase gasket on,fired it up and ran it a while after this and the bike was perfect,no leak.Today however no fuel getting to the plug(fuel to carb ok)At this point didn't think of a no spark situation as plug was dry.Blew through all the jets,started to smell petrol slightly on the plug,still wouldn't start no matter what i tried.After thinking fuel all day and kicking it over till i was blue in the face i decided to retire to the darkness of my shed to check for a spark,missus came out and held the plug cap and plug in her teeth against the cylinder block(she's queer like that,no fear!)no spark damnit!.How could it be a no fuel situation then a no spark situation when the bike was fine yesterday? When i had the side plate off the carb to check the float a little spacer must have fallen out and i didn't notice it,to keep float from coming along the shaft and letting the needle slip down.When i switched fuel on ofcourse fuel went everywhere until i twigged,is there anything under the carb electrically that may have been affected by all this fuel that flew out the tickler?Bikes a 58 G3LS Single,Amal 376 carb.Edited by - rumpelstiltskin on 05 Sep 2010 5:38:30 PMEdited by - rumpelstiltskin on 05 Sep 2010 5:47:32 PM
itma

Post by itma »

under the carb no
change the plug I bet its as black as a chimney sweeps arse in a dark celler
rumpelstiltskin

Done that a few times with the plug in the past,works every time!Can't believe what the problem was,first thing i genuinely had a fuel problem in the morning and must have cured that.Then the electrical problem showed.Just jumped into my mind that when my brothers missus was down i thought,but i wasn't sure that in the corner of my eye she touched the light switch,or i might have accidentally turned it while switching ignition on,not sure?this came into my mind tonight,sure as hell the light has been on all yesterday and all last night!!One pooped battery.Can't believe i kicked it all day and didn't notice.Oops.Was thinking about getting a new battery anyway just as a matter of course but i've read a few ones recommended and not sure which one is best for the bike.Its a 6v one and the terminals are spade connectors,base of the battery has 6 large round plastic circles moulded into the body design of the battery,battery is black and looks oldish,not like a new white replacement one.
itma

Post by itma »

so does it go now?
rumpelstiltskin

Im going to charge battery tomorrow.Just remembered reading about the 'emg' on the light switch but it didnt work,supposed to start bike in low battery state?