Painting Alloy Frame Section

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I'm starting to attack the frame on my G3LS project. Can anyone advise me if I need a special primer for the alloy frame section, or can I use the same primer as for the steel tubes?

Also I'm going to have a go brush painting, as I don't have a compressor and I reckon there will to much overspray to make rattle cans viable. I want to use locally available paint, which limits me to Hamerite type products. I've previously used gloss black for touching up frames but it always strikes me as being too glossy. Would a satin type finish be preferable or are they too flat?

Cheers, Ian
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

all of my frame parts including the alloy casting was powder coated gloss, the gloss will, and has of course. dulled over time, if you use a hand paint smooth hammerit seems good to use but there is a restriction, stated on the can, re the second coat, I believe you must apply one within a short period of time or the first coat will start to cure and any subsequent ones will pickle. As to gloss of matt my mate has had his Ariel painted in gloss with 10 o/o matt paint added which does dull it a little and gives a kind of satin sheen, I would also have thought any good etch primer would do for your alloy. after all a lot of car panels are now of alloy construction and successfully painted. kind regards